Free legal advice, replacement birth certificates for weather impacted Queenslanders

Published Friday, 02 February, 2024 at 07:15 AM

Attorney-General and Minister for Justice and Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence
The Honourable Yvette D'Ath

  • Disaster legal helpline (1300 527 700) operated by Legal Aid Queensland
  • Flood-damaged or destroyed life certificates replaced for free
  • Support available to licensees, registered charities and incorporated associations 

Queenslanders impacted by natural disasters this summer are encouraged to take advantage of free legal advice and other services, such as birth and marriage certificate replacements, offered by the Miles Government.

A dedicated disaster legal helpline (1300 527 700) operated by Legal Aid Queensland (LAQ) will provide advice to people whose properties have been damaged by severe weather.

Factsheets and resources will also be available to ensure impacted Queenslanders are armed with relevant advice about insurance claims, damaged or disrupted services and utilities, employment issues and debt and financial problems.

Key documents, including birth and marriage certificates, will be replaced for free for those in disaster declared areas who have had them lost or destroyed.

Lost or destroyed blue cards or exemption cards will also be replaced by Blue Card Services for free if people submit a statutory declaration with the relevant form for lost/stolen cards.

The Office of Fair Trading (OFT) is also helping licensees, charities and incorporated associations registered with them who have been affected by floods.

This includes replacing destroyed OFT licences, ID cards, certificates, and copies of rules for non-profit groups free of charge as well as offering extensions on new applications or renewals and waiving late fees for those affected.

The OFT is also encouraging Queenslanders to be wary of scammers looking to take advantage of people and businesses impacted by natural disasters.

Flood-affected licensed venues can contact the Office of Liquor and Gaming Regulation (OLGR) during the recovery period for advice about licences and permits, liquor compliance and gaming compliance.

People needing a Justice of the Peace (JP) or Commissioner of Declarations to witness and certify routine legal documents are encouraged to visit the Queensland Government website.

The JP service at Mount Tamborine Library has been suspended temporarily due to damage to that building, while in Mossman the service has relocated to the local library at 14 Mill St until further notice.

Quotes attributable to the Attorney-General, Minister for Justice and Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence, Yvette D’Ath:

“The devastating weather across the state this summer has exacted a considerable environmental, economic and emotional toll on many Queensland communities.

“While the immediate weather threat for many areas has diminished, the recovery process for these communities will be ongoing for some time.

“The Miles Government remains committed to helping people and businesses get back on their feet in any way we can.

“For many people, their lives and livelihoods have been completely disrupted by these natural disasters.

“Not only are prized personal possessions lost or destroyed, so too are many documents and records.

“Through access to free legal help and practical support with certificates, registrations, blue cards and business licences, we hope to make life easier for people during a very difficult time.”

Further information

Legal Aid Queensland:

Legal Aid Queensland provides free legal help to people affected by disasters.

Call the disaster legal help line on 1300 527 700 to get help with issues you may face when your property has been damaged by a natural disaster or severe weather.

Facts sheets and other resources are available at

Documentation replacement:

The Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages will provide free replacement life event certificates (to people in disaster declared areas who have had them lost or destroyed. Information is available on Queensland Government website:

Blue cards or exemption cards lost or destroyed in the floods will be replaced by Blue Card Services for free if people submit a statutory declaration with the relevant form for lost/stolen cards. Both documents should be submitted via email to For the relevant form and statutory declaration visit

JPs in the Community

JPs and Cdecs are trained Queenslanders who can witness and certify your routine legal documents.

Assistance for liquor and gaming licensees 

For licence and permit enquiries, contact

For liquor compliance enquiries, contact

For gaming compliance enquiries, contact

Assistance for OFT regulated industries

The Office of Fair Trading can help licensees, registered charities and incorporated associations impacted by floods including:

    • Replacement of destroyed licences, ID cards or certificates, free-of-charge
    • Replacement of destroyed copies of rules for non-profit groups, free-of-charge
    • extensions on any new applications or renewals
    • waiving late fees

Charity scams

Search the Office of Fair Trading’s free public register to check if a charity is authorised to fundraise in Queensland. 

You can also check a charity is genuine by searching the online Australian Charities and Not-for-profit Commissions website.

If you believe you donated to a scam you should:

  • Contact your bank to report the transaction immediately.
  • Report the scam to the website it is hosted on.
  • Make a report on the Scamwatch website.