Comprehensive review of the Public Interest Disclosure Act released
Published Tuesday, 08 August, 2023 at 05:37 PM
Attorney-General and Minister for Justice and Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence
The Honourable Yvette D'Ath
- Review of Public Interest Disclosure Act 2010 (PID Act) makes 107 recommendations.
- Report author the Honourable Alan Wilson KC has called for a ‘brand new Act’.
The PID Act is a key part of Queensland’s integrity framework and is designed to prevent, uncover and combat corruption and wrongdoing in Queensland’s public sector.
The Report, detailing 107 recommendations, was handed to the Government, following broad consultation with stakeholders.
The Report includes proposals for:
- a brand new Act that is simple to use and easier to understand;
- an expanded reach for a streamlined public interest disclosure framework;
- a higher threshold for disclosable conduct;
- more effective management and processes for managing public interest disclosures supported by enhanced oversight; and
- better support, protections and remedies for whistleblowers.
The Palaszczuk Government broadly supports the findings of the Report and is committed to renewing Queensland’s whistleblowing framework to ensure wrongdoing in the public sector can be effectively exposed and remedied, while ensuring whistleblowers are protected.
The Report is available here
Quotes attributable to the Attorney-General and Minister for Justice and Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence, Yvette D’Ath:
“We are grateful for the time the Honourable Alan Wilson KC and his team have dedicated to examining submissions and, ultimately, delivering a comprehensive review into the PID Act.
“At first look, this is a game-changing review that will give whistleblowers more protections and, ultimately, the confidence to come forward.
“Understandably, being so comprehensive and broad, and with more than 100 recommendations, the Government will consider all of the recommendations and reasonings.”
Media contact – Cullen Robinson 0418 170 474