$12.87 million residential aged care expansion for South West
Published Friday, 12 May, 2023 at 12:42 PM
Minister for Health and Ambulance Services
The Honourable Yvette D'Ath
- Cunnamulla, Injune, Surat and Augathella multipurpose health services will expand aged care spaces through a $12.87 million upgrade.
- Upgrades are jointly funded by the Palaszczuk Government and the Commonwealth.
- Cunnamulla is expected to be completed by early 2024 and the other three sites are expected to be completed by end of the year.
The Palaszczuk Government is jointly funding a $12.87 million expansion of residential aged care facilities for four health services in the South West.
Cunnamulla’s health service will receive a new 10-bed residential aged care unit at a total cost of $7.6 million, including $5.6 million from the Palaszczuk Government.
The Injune, Surat, and Augathella multipurpose health services will each receive two single bedrooms with ensuites at a combined cost of $5.27 million.
Work at Cunnamulla by New State Builders has already begun and is expected to be completed by early 2024, weather permitting.
Work at the other three sites by contractors S&K Duff Builders and DJ Buckley Builders will begin this month and are expected to be completed by the end of the year.
Quotes attributable to Health and Ambulance Services Minister Yvette D’Ath:
“We’ve partnered with the Commonwealth to ensure elderly Queenslanders in the South West have access to quality aged care closer to home," Minister D’Ath said.
“Through these health services, our communities have access to not only aged care services but also acute hospital services, allied health, early intervention programs, and community health services, all under the one roof.
"These upgrades will not only provide much-needed residential aged care spaces but also create good jobs in the community.
"The Palaszczuk Government remains committed to delivering better health services to all Queenslanders, regardless of where they live.”
- The new 10-bed unit will replace a temporary four-bed aged care unit that was created in March 2021.
- Works are being undertaken by New State Builders (Dalby).
- The brand new, purpose-built residential aged care unit will include:
- 10 single bedrooms with ensuites
- activity room, lounge, and dining area
- sensory garden for residents
Injune, Surat, and Augathella:
- In addition to the two-bedroom extensions, the shared living and recreational space available to aged care residents in each facility also is being expanded.
- Works are designed to bring all the available aged care beds together in the one section, instead of being split across different locations in the facilities.
- Works at Injune and Surat will be delivered by S&K Duff Builders Pty Ltd (Roma)
- Works at Augathella will be delivered by DJ Buckley Builders Pty Ltd (Toowoomba)