Funding to repair Queensland's disaster-impacted heritage-listed places
Published Tuesday, 03 January, 2023 at 03:00 PM
Minister for the Environment and the Great Barrier Reef and Minister for Science and Youth Affairs
The Honourable Meaghan Scanlon
Disaster assistance is now available to help restore the heritage-listed buildings and places that were damaged by the extraordinary rainfall and flooding events of the 2021–2022 severe weather season.
Grabs from Minister Scanlon are available here: https://bit.ly/3QdVblA
The $500,000 Heritage Disaster Recovery Grant program is jointly funded by the Albanese and Palaszczuk governments under the Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DFRA) and will be administered by the Queensland Department of Environment and Science (DES).
Property owners in 39 local government areas impacted by severe weather events are eligible to apply: Balonne, Banana, Barcaldine, Barcoo, Blackall Tambo, Boulia, Brisbane, Bundaberg, Carpentaria, Central Highlands, Cherbourg, Diamantina, Fraser Coast, Flinders, Gladstone, Gold Coast, Goondiwindi, Gympie, Ipswich, Isaac, Kowanyama, Livingstone, Lockyer Valley, Logan, Longreach, Maranoa, Moreton Bay, Murweh, Noosa, North Burnett, Redland, Rockhampton, Scenic Rim, Somerset, South Burnett, Southern Downs, Sunshine Coast, Toowoomba and Western Downs.
Federal Minister for Emergency Management, Murray Watt said the grants provide much-needed assistance to the owners and custodians of Queensland’s heritage listed places following a series of disaster events.
““The Albanese Government is committed to helping communities better prepare for natural disasters and build back better when disaster hits.
“Eligible owners and organisations can apply for grants of between $10,000 and $35,000 for projects that will restore cyclone, rain or flood-affected places that are listed on the Queensland Heritage Register,” Minister Watt said.
“The funding is available for projects such as restumping, reroofing, repairs to timber framing and weatherboards, repointing of brick or stonework, or painting.
"Projects that will make heritage-listed buildings and their contents more resilient to future disaster events, such as installing damp-proofing systems or sacrificial linings to protect significant fabrics, are also eligible.”
Queensland Environment Minister Meaghan Scanlon said a number of state heritage-listed places had been affected by rainfall, flooding or cyclones in recent disaster events.
“These grants will help ensure Queensland’s significant heritage-listed places are restored and protected for further generations,” Ms Scanlon said.
“We have a diverse range of heritage-listed places – from public buildings, schools, industry, homes, hotels and churches – that provide a snapshot of Queensland’s lifestyle and history.
“The Palaszczuk Government is committed to protecting these important heritage places, now and into the future.”
Chair of the Queensland Heritage Council Leslie Shirreffs welcomed the funding saying extreme weather compounds threats to heritage values.
“This timely funding will enable owners to repair and restore their heritage properties from the impacts of disaster, as well as weatherproof them for future generations to appreciate and enjoy,” the Chair said.
Applications for the Heritage Disaster Recovery Grants will be open until 6 February 2023.
More information on how to apply is available at Environmental Recovery Grants
Minister Watt – Tali Eley 0499 770 772
Minister Scanlon – Francis Dela Cruz 0420 592 078