DISASTER ASSISTANCE EXTENDED FURTHER FOLLOWING SOUTHERN QUEENSLAND FLOODING
Published Monday, 25 July, 2022 at 02:00 PM
Deputy Premier, Minister for State Development, Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning and Minister Assisting the Premier on Olympics Infrastructure
The Honourable Dr Steven Miles
Extraordinary disaster assistance grants have been extended to flood-affected primary producers, small businesses and communities affected by the Southern Queensland flooding event in May.
The assistance is made available through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).
Federal Minister for Emergency Management, Senator the Hon Murray Watt said the flooding in May had followed a number of earlier disaster events, compounding the impacts on Southern Queensland primary producers and small business owners.
“Primary producers in the Balonne, Lockyer Valley, Southern Downs, Somerset, Western Downs and Gympie local government areas now have access to additional primary producer recovery grants of up to $75,000,” Minister Watt said.
“These grants will provide funding for a range of clean-up and recovery activities, including salvaging crops and making repairs to damaged fencing.
“In addition, grants of up to $50,000 will be made available to small businesses and non-profit organisations in the Balonne, Gympie, Lockyer Valley, Moreton Bay, Somerset, Southern Downs, Toowoomba and Western Downs local government areas.
“The grants will help these organisations with their recovery by providing funding toward the clean-up and repair of flood damaged assets, including damage to equipment, flooring and walls in premises.”
Deputy Premier and Minister for responsible for the Queensland Reconstruction Authority Steven Miles said that extending the range of support available following the flooding that affected a wide area in the southern part of the state would ensure no one slipped through the cracks and missed out on this vital funding.
“The Queensland and Australian governments are in constant communication with local governments and state agencies as the damage from the flooding is assessed and areas of need are identified,” Mr Miles said.
“By working together we will ensure that appropriate support is provided to these communities as they continue their recovery.
“In addition to these primary producer and small business grants, we are also extending the previously announced $721 million jointly funded Commonwealth and Queensland Government DRFA exceptional circumstances package so that it covers the local government areas activated for the Southern Queensland flooding event.
“This package includes programs that support human and social recovery, economic, environmental and infrastructure recovery.”
The LGAs currently activated for disaster assistance following the Southern Queensland Flooding event in May are: Balonne, Brisbane, Bundaberg, Fraser Coast, Gold Coast, Goondiwindi, Gladstone, Gympie, Ipswich, Livingstone, Lockyer Valley, Logan, Moreton Bay, North Burnett, Rockhampton, Scenic Rim, Somerset, South Burnett, Southern Downs, Toowoomba and Western Downs.
For more information on grant assistance visit www.qrida.qld.gov.au or free call 1800 623 946.
Information on disaster assistance can be found on the Queensland Reconstruction Authority’s website at www.qra.qld.gov.au.
Minister Watt: Tali Eley 0448 078 456
Deputy Premier: Amy Hunter 0423 651 484