DISASTER ASSISTANCE EXTENDED FOR AFFECTED COUNCILS ACROSS SOUTH-EAST QUEENSLAND AS FLOOD EMERGENCY CONTINUES
Published Monday, 28 February, 2022 at 06:02 AM
Minister for Police and Corrective Services and Minister for Fire and Emergency Services
The Honourable Mark Ryan
Disaster assistance has been extended to Councils in the Brisbane, Moreton Bay, Redland, Scenic Rim, Somerset, South Burnett and Southern Downs local government areas as torrential rainfall and flooding continues to wreak havoc across South-East Queensland.
Minister for Emergency Management and National Recovery and Resilience, Senator the Hon Bridget McKenzie said there were now 17 councils activated for jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA) assistance in response to the unfolding event.
“This ongoing deluge is causing devastation across many parts of South-East Queensland and through this assistance, affected councils can have comfort in knowing they will be supported to provide their communities with the counter disaster operations required, as well as to restore vital public infrastructure like roads and bridges,” Minister McKenzie said.
“The rainfall and major flooding has caused dangerous conditions from Hervey Bay to the Gold Coast and west to Toowoomba.
“This extension of DRFA assistance to those seven local government authoroties will help with their response, clean-up and then reconstruction efforts once flood waters recede and impact assessments can be undertaken.
“This extension of the DRFA for impacted councils added to assistance already activated for the Fraser Coast, Gold Coast, Gympie, Ipswich, Lockyer Valley, Logan, Noosa, North Burnett, Sunshine Coast and Toowoomba local government areas.
“We have seen some devastating scenes across South East Queensland but these affected communities can be assured the Australian and Queensland Governments will work together as we identify what additional assistance will be needed,” Minister McKenzie said.
Queensland Minister for Fire and Emergency Services Mark Ryan said this had been a phenomenal event in terms of rainfall, with more than 1,100 millimetres dropped at Mount Glorious, north-west of Brisbane, in the past few days.
“The Department of Transport and Main Roads has reported more than 1,000 roads have been closed or have restricted access and parts of the Bruce, Warrego and Cunningham highways have been cut off,” Mr Ryan said.
“Our emergency services and councils have been doing an amazing job in dangerous conditions throughout this extraordinary event. While we’re likely to see the worst yet to come, as Queenslanders we know we’ll get through this together.
“With the rain still tumbling down and catchments and rivers still rising, it will be some time until we have a clear understanding of the true impacts of the floods, but in these early stages we’re committed to providing DRFA support to Councils as quickly as we can and will continue to extend as additional information comes to hand.
“For now, our strong message to South-East Queenslanders is to keep your safety front of mind – stay home if safe to do so, and call for help if you need it. Of course, if it’s flooded, back it up and forget it.”
The 17 local government areas activated for DRFA assistance for this event are: Brisbane, Fraser Coast, Gold Coast, Gympie, Ipswich, Lockyer Valley, Logan, Moreton Bay, Noosa, North Burnett, Redland, Scenic Rim, Somerset, South Burnett, Southern Downs, Sunshine Coast and Toowoomba.
More information on disaster assistance can be found on the QRA’s website at www.qra.qld.gov.au