Next stage of $1.5M pipeline project to commence this weekend
Published Thursday, 15 July, 2021 at 11:11 AM
Minister for Regional Development and Manufacturing and Minister for Water
The Honourable Glenn Butcher
Works to support the continued supply of drinking water in South East Queensland will ramp up this weekend, with the second stage of a $1.5 million upgrade on two pipes that supply water from Mount Crosby Treatment Plant to Brisbane, Ipswich and Logan.
The work will involve taking a 4km section of the pipes offline at Barnes Hill to replace four valves which are reaching the end of their service life.
Drinking water will be supplied from other areas of the network, however residents in Brisbane and Ipswich can assist by limiting their non-essential water use while the works are underway.
Minister for Water, Glenn Butcher, said the work will support the ongoing supply of safe drinking water for the region and improve the reliability of the SEQ Water Grid.
“The upgrade is part of Seqwater’s program of works to ensure our water infrastructure continues to operate at peak condition,” Mr Butcher said.
“On average, 400 million litres of water flows through these pipes every day, making them some of the hardest working assets in the network.
“This project has been carefully planned across two stages to ensure the valves can be replaced safely with minimal disruption to residents and businesses.
“South East Queenslanders have already demonstrated they are water-wise and with the works being under taken this weekend we’re asking them to be even more careful with the water they use.”
Minister Butcher said stage one of the project was completed last month and involved taking the two pipes offline temporarily to perform network checks to help plan the works.
Seqwater Chief Operating Officer, Stuart Cassie, said stage two involved replacing the valves which are 1.7m high and weigh 2.7 tonnes.
“Our team will use two cranes, one 45 tonne and the other 25 tonne, to remove the old valves and secure the new ones safely. Work will begin on Saturday 17 July and is expected to continue into Monday 19 July,” Mr Cassie said.
“To complete the work safely, we will need to temporarily isolate the same section of the pipes to create a dry workspace.
“We’ll be working with water service providers to supply water from other parts of the network to minimise impacts for residents and businesses.”
Urban Utilities spokesperson, Michelle Cull, said residents could support the project by limiting their non-essential water use this weekend while the works are being carried out.
“We’re asking everyone to save water where they can by keeping showers as short as possible and postponing any water intensive chores like washing the car, topping up the pool or watering the garden,” Ms Cull said.
“The average water consumption across South East Queensland is approximately 150 litres per person per day so we know people are using water wisely. We would like to see these habits continue, especially this weekend while these works are occurring.
“Similar to stage one of the project, some customers may notice reduced water pressure or their water has a different taste or smell as they will receive water from supply locations they don’t typically get water from during the works.”
Changes to smell, taste and water pressure will be temporary, and the water remains safe to drink.
If residents or businesses experience any issues with their water supply, they can contact their water service provider.
Media contact: Minister Butcher – Daniel Lato 0438 891 158