Survey seeks Queenslanders’ Bruce Highway views
Published Friday, 04 June, 2021 at 11:30 AM
Minister for Transport and Main Roads
The Honourable Mark Bailey
Queenslanders are being asked to share their views on Bruce Highway upgrade priorities.
Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said motorists who travelled the highway every day were best placed to share their views on the best and worst bits of the 1700km-long corridor between Brisbane and Cairns.
“Under the Bruce Highway Upgrade Program, $13 billion in joint funding has been locked in to deliver major upgrades over a 15 year period,” Mr Bailey said.
“Sections of the highway with a history of being dangerous, congested or flood-prone have already been fixed or are being progressively upgraded.
“Examples of that are the completion of Mackay’s ring road last year, the works happening now south of Townsville to address flooding issues at the Haughton River, or the completion of planning for the Rockhampton Ring Road, ahead of the $1 billion construction project planned to start next year.
“There is still plenty to do though, and motorists, truck drivers and residents who use the highway every day are the people who can highlight sections they think need work, and that’s why we’re keen to hear from them.”
Mr Bailey said the feedback received via the online survey would support the work of the Bruce Highway Trust Advisory Council (BHTAC).
“BHTAC’s formation was a commitment by the Palaszczuk Government to take the politics out of funding discussions for the Bruce and lock in a pipeline of jobs up and down the state,” he said.
“The Trust brings together leaders of Queensland’s peak transport and industry bodies to develop a long-term vision for jobs and upgrades on Queensland’s national highway.
“We also committed at the last election to bring an additional six regional members into the group, and recruitment for those positions is underway now.”
BHTAC chair Peter Garske said the expansion of the committee was integral to developing the Bruce Highway.
“The BHTAC is overseeing the development of a 15-year vision supported by three, five-year rolling action plans and the Safer Bruce 2030 Action Plan to unlock economic growth, build flood resilience and improve safety on the Bruce Highway,” Mr Garske said.
“Our role includes providing advice and direction to the BHTAC Technical Working Group on stakeholder needs and expectations.
“The information provided by Queenslanders in this survey will be used to guide the development of the vision and action plans, and future investment in this nationally-significant highway that connects goods with markets and people to essential services.”
The survey, which takes about 10 minutes to complete, can be accessed via the BHTAC website at www.tmr.qld.gov.au/business-industry/Business-with-us/Bruce-Highway-Trust-Advisory-Council
Media contact: Toby Walker – 0439 347 875