FURTHER DISASTER ASSISTANCE AVAILABLE TO SUPPORT QUEENSLAND COMMUNITIES AND PRIMARY PRODUCERS
Published Saturday, 03 April, 2021 at 09:00 AM
Minister for Police and Corrective Services and Minister for Fire and Emergency Services
The Honourable Mark Ryan
Disaster assistance has been extended to assist the recovery of additional communities and primary producers following the heavy rainfall and flash flooding in Southern Queensland last month.
Assistance is being delivered through the jointly funded Commonwealth-State Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).
Minister for Emergency Management David Littleproud said the DRFA assistance would provide financial support in the form of freight subsidies and concessional loans to help primary producers in Goondiwindi.
"Cotton growers in our border towns were heavily impacted by this extreme weather event, particularly in the Texas region where hundreds of hectares were badly damaged or completely wiped out," Minister Littleproud said.
“Primary producers can now access concessional loans of up $250,000 to repair or replace damaged buildings or plant and equipment affected by the flooding and essential working capital loans of up to $100,000.
“Freight subsidies of $5000 are also available to help with the costs of moving crops and farm equipment.
“This funding will provide the financial support needed to help these growers get back on their feet as soon as possible.
“The Australian Government will continue to work closely with the Queensland Government to support affected communities every step of the way to recovery.”
Queensland Minister for Fire and Emergency Services Mark Ryan said DRFA assistance had also been extended to the local government areas of Balonne, Barcoo, Moreton Bay and Paroo to help with clean-up operations in their communities.
“Balonne, Barcoo and Paroo are now able to access assistance to help with clean-up operations in their communities,” Minister Ryan said.
“Councils across Southern Queensland are reporting debris across local roads, blocked drains and fallen trees that need to be cleared before communities can get back to normal.
“Today’s announcement will provide a guarantee to these councils that the eligible costs associated with the clean-up and repairs to essential roads will be covered under the DRFA.
“Additionally, Balonne, Moreton Bay and Paroo are now able to access much needed funds to support counter disaster operations undertaken in the immediate aftermath of the event.
“The Queensland Government has officers working with councils across Southern Queensland as they assess the damage left behind by the receding flood waters.
“We’ll continue to work with the Commonwealth to provide all relevant assistance to get these communities moving again,” he said.
Information on disaster assistance can be found on the Australian Government’s Disaster Assist website at www.disasterassist.gov.au and the Queensland Reconstruction Authority’s website at www.qra.qld.gov.au.
For more information on loans for primary producers visit www.qrida.qld.gov.au or free call 1800 623 946, and for information on freight subsidies visit www.daf.qld.gov.au or contact the Customer Service Centre on 13 25 23.
Minister Littleproud: Douglas Ferguson, 0455 448 985
Minister Ryan: Phil Willmington, 0411 535 180