More than $19 million in Disaster Resilience And Risk Reduction Funding For Queensland Communities
Published Wednesday, 10 March, 2021 at 12:28 PM
Deputy Premier and Minister for State Development, Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning
The Honourable Dr Steven Miles
Queensland communities can now apply for a share of more than $19 million in resilience and risk reduction funding to help reduce, mitigate and manage the risks of future disasters.
The Australian Government has partnered with the Queensland Government to make this assistance available, with $6 million in Australian Government funding this year exclusively earmarked for 14 local government areas impacted by the 2019 monsoon trough event.
Federal Minister for Emergency Management David Littleproud said this funding is available under the $12 million Managing Disaster Risk grants program to support the region’s long-term recovery from this devastating event.
“Queensland communities are well practiced in responding to natural disasters but it is important we work collaboratively to reduce risk and build resilience to these events,” Minister Littleproud said.
“Building resilience will bring better long-term outcomes for communities but it doesn’t happen overnight, which is why the Australian and Queensland Governments have made this commitment.”
Queensland Deputy Premier and Minister for State Development, Local Government, Infrastructure and Planning Steven Miles said this year’s funding includes round two of the $13.1 million Queensland Resilience and Risk Reduction Fund (QRRRF), out of the National Partnership Agreement on Disaster Risk Reduction.
“Queensland has done it tough in recent years with bushfires, floods, cyclones, storms, hailstorms, drought and COVID-19. This season alone we have had multiple natural disaster events,” Deputy Premier Miles said.
“Despite the challenges thrown our way, the Queensland Government’s commitment to supporting our communities as they recover and build a more resilient future hasn’t faltered.
“We know from experience that communities that invest in resilient infrastructure and initiatives are able to recover sooner from disaster events.
“Queensland is a wide and diverse state where priorities are different for each and every community, which was evident in the 67 projects approved in last year’s QRRRF.”
Eligible applicants include local governments, Queensland Government departments and agencies, and incorporated not-for-profit-organisations.
The QRRRF is administered by the Queensland Reconstruction Authority.
Expressions of interest close on 7 April 2021. Shortlisted applicants will then be asked to provide a detailed application. Successful applicants will have until 30 June 2023 to deliver their projects.
The eligible 14 local government areas are Burdekin, Burke, Carpentaria, Charters Towers, Cloncurry, Douglas, Etheridge, Flinders, Hinchinbrook, McKinlay, Richmond, Townsville, Whitsunday, and Winton.
For more information on how to apply, go to the www.qra.qld.gov.au/QRRRF.
- Douglas Ferguson 0455 448 985 (Minister Littleproud)
- Amy Hunter 0423 651 484 (Deputy Premier Miles)