Preparation a priority as this year's bushfire season officially starts
Published Saturday, 01 August, 2020 at 12:00 AM
Minister for Fire and Emergency Services and Minister for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships
The Honourable Craig Crawford
Fire and Emergency Services Minister and Minister for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships, Craig Crawford is urging residents to prepare their properties during the start of the 2020-2021 bushfire season which officially starts today (1 August).
“Complacency is not an option. We saw how devasting bushfire can be in what was the state’s worst bushfire season,” Mr Crawford said.
“The season may officially start today, and while we are expected to experience a different bushfire season than last year, we all need to make sure we are prepared for every possibility.
“Some parts of the state are still experiencing favourable conditions for hazard mitigation activities and it’s important Queenslanders continue with their own preparations.
“No matter where you live, whether it’s a rural or urban area, you need to have a plan in place in case bushfire strikes.
“It’s important to have an up-to-date Bushfire Survival Plan, as well as conducting simple steps around your home.
“This could be clearing leaves and other debris from gutters and the roof, culling back trees close to your home and regularly mowing the lawn.
“Bushfire Survival Plans are not one-size-fits-all and residents should tailor theirs to ensure it meets the needs of their own family’s circumstances.
“A plan should include the items residents would take when evacuating a property, or whether or not you will choose to leave early,” he said.
Visit the Rural Fire Service website for more information about preparing for bushfire: www.ruralfire.qld.gov.au
Media contact: Hope Fabillar 0428 343 432