Reconnecting regional Queensland with better roads
Published Friday, 18 October, 2019 at 04:30 PM
Minister for State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning
The Honourable Cameron Dick
Minister for Natural Disaster and Emergency Management David Littleproud
Minister for State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning Cameron Dick
Another $15.7 million will help rebuild central Queensland roads damaged by monsoon foods earlier this year to a higher standard.
Minister for Natural Disaster and Emergency Management David Littleproud said the funding for priority projects was part of the joint Commonwealth and Queensland Government’s $134.5 million Infrastructure Package.
“This money will not only restore three important roads, it’ll improve them,” Minister Littleproud said.
“They will be safer and more reliable for local communities during and after storms.
“We’re committed to working with the state so communities are better prepared for future disasters.”
Cameron Dick, state Minister responsible for the Queensland Reconstruction Authority, said improving the resilience of roads helps to keep communities connected and speeds up recovery.
“Work to stabilise and reseal sections of Richmond to Winton Road, Burke Development Road and Gilliat-McKinlay Road will ensure these remote communities remain connected during and after severe weather events,” Mr Dick said.
“While immediate restoration works were undertaken as soon as flood waters subsided, Betterment funding allows damaged essential public assets such as roads to be repaired to a higher standard, making them more resilient in the future.
“Burdekin Shire Council will also share in more than $137,000 in funding for two recreational assets that were significantly damaged during the monsoon trough.
“Work to restore access routes to Plantation Park and Mount Inkerman Lookout have been given the tick of approval to ensure locals and tourists can safely enjoy the natural beauty of the Burdekin region.”
Betterment, recreational assets and water and sewerage infrastructure submissions are part of the $242 million Category C/D Recovery Package jointly funded by Commonwealth and Queensland Governments under the Disaster Recovery Funding Arrangements (DRFA).
Delivery of these projects will be rolled out until June 2021. Further information about the $242 million recovery package can be found on the Queensland Reconstruction Authority website.
- Douglas Ferguson 0455 448 985 (Minister Littleproud)
- Ben Doyle 0400 775 561 (Minister Dick)