More security for Bundaberg residents with 4WD flood evacuation tracks
Published Friday, 04 January, 2019 at 10:30 AM
Minister for Local Government, Minister for Racing and Minister for Multicultural Affairs
The Honourable Stirling Hinchliffe
Four-wheel drive tracks will be upgraded to give the people of Pine Creek, Givelda and Electra better evacuation routes and reduce their isolation during floods.
Local Government Minister Stirling Hinchliffe announced the green light for the $1.1 million first phase of the Upper Floodplain Evacuation Improvements project as part of the Bundaberg 10-year Action Plan.
“Previously, these communities could be cut-off for up to two weeks when it floods, and this upgrade will give residents peace of mind knowing they will soon have a better evacuation route for 4WDs,” Mr Hinchliffe said.
“Community consultation found that more than 90 per cent of local people were happy with the Upper Floodplain evacuation concepts.
“The second phase, to raise the Perry River Bridge, is still under investigation and no decision has been made on this part of the project.
“However, it is clear the Queensland Government is moving ahead with the Bundaberg 10-year Action Plan with the approval of the 4WD tracks upgrade and the recent installation of stream gauges on Saltwater Creek.”
The tracks will be upgraded on Lenihans Road near the Cherry Creek bridge crossing to provide a connection from Lenihans Road to Attrills Road. This includes a culvert crossing, causeway crossings, fencing and evacuation route signs.
Work is expected to start on the 4WD tracks early in 2019 with construction estimated to take about five months.
Bundaberg Mayor Jack Dempsey welcomed the announcement.
“The upgrade of the tracks will provide greater peace of mind for these communities, and help increase connectivity during floods,” Mayor Dempsey said.
“This means not only improved evacuation, it will also improve emergency access following a flood.
“It’s a terrific example of what can be achieved when our two levels of government work together.”
Work is progressing on the other proposals with additional geo-tech completed on the East levee and results are being assessed.
The projects to be investigated in the Bundaberg 10-year Action Plan are:
- Bundaberg North Evacuation Route Improvements which aims to improve the connection between Bundaberg North and the CBD during a flood event.
- Bundaberg East Levee to mitigate damage from a Burnett River flood within Bundaberg East, Bundaberg South and the CBD without increasing flood issues in other areas of Bundaberg
- Upper Flood Plain Evacuation Improvements to reduce the time Goodnight Scrub, Morganville, Pine Creek, Givelda and Electra would be isolated.
- Floodway House Purchase Scheme for the voluntary purchase or relocation through a land-swap of select residential blocks in Bundaberg North that are deemed to be in a floodway with high depths and velocities.
For more information visit www.qld.gov.au/bundabergactionplan
Media contact: Martin Philip 0427 919 548