Extra funding ensures complete Bowen Seawall rebuild
Published Wednesday, 24 October, 2018 at 08:13 AM
Premier and Minister for Trade
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
Minister for State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning
The Honourable Cameron Dick
The Palaszczuk Government has committed to a full rebuild of the Bowen Front Beach Seawall, with a further $895,000 allocated to upgrade a remaining 45-metre section of the 165-metre structure.
Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the funding would be provided to Whitsunday Regional Council to make sure the entire seawall is built to a higher and more resilient standard.
“As a result of Severe Tropical Cyclone Debbie in March 2017, significant sections of the Bowen Front Beach Seawall were damaged,” the Premier said.
“A 120-metre section of the wall had already been approved to be rebuilt through the joint state and Commonwealth Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements (NDRRA), as part of the Category D Environmental Recovery Package, however, the remaining 45-metres of the wall was not eligible for NDRRA funding under the Commonwealth’s terms and conditions, as it was not damaged by Cyclone Debbie.
“To ensure a consistent and stronger seawall rebuild, my government is pleased to provide the additional funding to upgrade this remaining section.
“We said after Cyclone Debbie we were committed to helping impacted communities recover, and we will keep working side by side with local governments like Whitsunday Regional Council to see recovery efforts continue until completion.”
Minister for State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning Cameron Dick said the additional funding would see the seawall rebuilt with an improved design to increase resilience to severe weather events.
“The seawall will be raised by half a metre, with the improved design and construction set to better protect council’s built assets and minimise the potential for loss,” Mr Dick said.
“Whitsunday Regional Council has identified this as a priority and has worked closely with the Queensland Reconstruction Authority on this project.
“One of the Palaszczuk Government’s key priorities is keeping communities safe, and providing this additional funding for the Bowen Front Beach Seawall is a good example of how we’re delivering on that.
“We’re committed to helping Queenslanders prepare for, respond to and recover from disasters, and through the Queensland Strategy for Disaster Resilience we’re working to make our state the most disaster resilient in Australia.”
The seawall, which aids in the protection of the parkland at Front Beach and adjacent road Santa Barbara Parade, extends from Bowen Water Park towards the Bowen Marina rock wall and Starboard Drive.
Whitsunday Regional Council Mayor Andrew Willcox said this was a perfect example of state and local government working together to deliver the best outcomes for the community.
“Without the support of the Palaszczuk Government our ratepayers would have faced a near $1 million bill to repair the remaining section of the seawall,” he said.
“Local government just can’t fund these major projects on our own and we are grateful to Minister Dick for allowing us to build more resilient infrastructure for our residents.”
Whitsunday Regional Council expects to start construction on the seawall in November 2018, with work due to be completed in March 2019.
Premier's office - Chris O'Brien 0419 774 004
Minister Dick's office - Anika Hume 0447 320 039