Southport Youth Foyer to help young people experiencing homelessness
Published Wednesday, 01 August, 2018 at 09:00 AM
Minister for Housing and Public Works, Minister for Digital Technology and Minister for Sport
The Honourable Mick de Brenni
The Palaszczuk Government has given the go ahead to commence construction for a specialised youth housing service in Southport, with contracts awarded to a local builder and a local support provider.
Based on the internationally recognised Youth Foyer model, the Gold Coast Youth Foyer delivers evidence based early intervention by providing secure housing and professional support for up to 40 vulnerable young people at any one time.
Member for Gaven Meaghan Scanlon said the Youth Foyer will assist young Gold Coasters unable to live at home with their families to break the cycle of homelessness.
“Youth Foyers are recognised for putting young people aged 16-25 on a positive path by providing safe and affordable housing while helping them to become confident, strong and self-supporting,” said Ms Scanlon.
“This is no hand out - the Foyer journey starts with a young person making a personal commitment to receive professional support to achieve their personal goals.
“Young people also learn and practice the rights and responsibilities of being a tenant in a safe and secure environment before moving into more independent housing options.”
The 40 single-occupancy, self-contained studio units in the Gold Coast Youth Foyer will offer safe and secure housing, staffed 24/7 by professional youth support workers, with tenants paying 25 per cent of their income in rent.
A total of $13.4 million has been allocated for the construction and provision of support services at the Foyer.
It will be designed by Paynter Dixon Queensland with on-site specialist support offered through the Gold Coast Youth Service.
Paynter Dixon General Manager Brett Johnston said he was very pleased to be involved in the development of the Gold Coast Youth Foyer.
“We have fostered a long-standing relationship with the Department of Housing and Public Works and are proud to partner on such an important initiative,” said Mr Johnston.
“Together we are creating pathways for those experiencing homelessness, or at risk of becoming homeless, and developing a standard of housing of which we can all be proud.”
Manager of the Gold Coast Youth Service Lesley Healy said it was a great project to be involved in.
“We are pleased to be involved in the Youth Foyer as it will enhance housing options for young people on the Gold Coast who are undertaking higher education and require supported housing,” said Mrs Healy.
The Foyer will be designed in consultation with stakeholders, using the successful Logan Youth Foyer as a model.
Housing Minister Mick de Brenni said that between 2013-2017 more than 33,000 young clients had been assisted across all Specialist Homelessness Services in Queensland – almost 4000 on the Gold Coast.
“Bricks and mortar alone won’t solve homelessness, thats why I’m rock solid on partnerships that improve pathways from homelessness to safe, secure and sustainable housing ad a key element of the Palaszczuk Government’s $1.8 billion Queensland Housing Strategy,” said Mr de Brenni.
“Our Government has created an ecosystem of stability in the sector so providers and government can embrace innovation and that all leads to more meaningful changes in the lives of people we are assisting, leading to better long-term housing outcomes.”
Construction on the new Gold Coast Youth Foyer is expected to start at the end of 2018 with the Foyer operational by the end of 2019.
Media contact: Cat Milton 0447 117 132