Innovative program expands to protect more Queenslanders
Published Thursday, 31 May, 2018 at 08:00 AM
Minister for State Development, Manufacturing, Infrastructure and Planning
The Honourable Cameron Dick
Disaster resilience plans will be developed for Western Queensland and the Fitzroy and Mary River Regions as part of a strategy to make Queensland the most disaster resilient state in Australia.
The plans will be created as part of Resilient Queensland 2018-21 – Delivering the Queensland Strategy for Disaster Resilience.
Minister for State Development Cameron Dick said the plans would see local governments, community groups and non-government organisations work across council boundaries to identify disaster risks and to improve community resilience to reduce the impact of disasters.
He said the resilience program had been expanded to the three new regions following the success of the pilot Burnett Catchment Flood Resilience Strategy, which was finalised this month.
“While the Burnett strategy was flood-focused, these additional pilot locations will extend collaboration with 17 local councils to other risks and issues.
“They will look at resilience issues relevant to each region, ranging from persistent drought to bushfire, severe storms, and floods,” Mr Dick said.
“It is about empowering local governments in Queensland’s urban, coastal, rural and remote communities to strengthen their resilience to future disasters.”
Mr Dick said participating councils would have the opportunity to share information, contribute success stories, and learn from each other, all while being supported by resilience and recovery experts from the Queensland Reconstruction Authority, working in partnership with Queensland Fire and Emergency Services.
“This is not about burdening councils with more regulation or red tape, but rather enabling them to opt in and develop united disaster resilience strategies,” he said.
“The Burnett Catchment Flood Resilience Strategy was so successful because it enabled every council within the catchment to contribute to the formation of a resilience plan, regardless of boundaries.
“It was an excellent example of the benefit of communities working together to build resilience.
“Expanding this pilot program to more communities across Queensland will ensure they are better informed, resourced and supported to identify disaster risks and develop strategies to overcome them,” Mr Dick said.
Resilient Queensland is a whole-of-Government approach, developed by the Queensland Reconstruction Authority, in consultation with state government agencies and councils across Queensland.
It will see every region across Queensland with an individually-tailored regional resilience plan by 2022.
Last week, the Queensland Government announced a $38 million Disaster Resilience Fund to strengthen the state’s resilience to future disasters. The Queensland Government is calling on the Federal Government to match its funding in the four-year package.
Media contact: Joe Begley 0447 320 039