Nominations open for 2018 Queensland Multicultural Awards
Published Wednesday, 21 March, 2018 at 12:18 PM
Minister for Local Government, Minister for Racing and Minister for Multicultural Affairs
The Honourable Stirling Hinchliffe
Nominations are now open to recognise Queensland’s top achievers in promoting and supporting multiculturalism in the 2018 Queensland Multicultural Awards.
In launching the awards at a Harmony Day breakfast at State Parliament, Multicultural Affairs Minister Stirling Hinchliffe said this year the awards recognise the theme of ‘Building a prosperous, fair and harmonious Queensland’.
“These Awards acknowledge the outstanding work of Queenslanders and organisations that promote the benefits of a multicultural society,” Mr Hinchliffe said.
"They recognise community volunteers, groups, businesses, government agencies and media that celebrate our diversity and support all Queenslanders to participate fully in our economy and community.”
Previous winners include:
- AFL Queensland’s Diversity Employment Program for migrants, refugees and international students to gain work experience in the sporting industry
- SBS Dinka Radio and SBS News Brisbane for their reports on the South Sudanese community in Australia
- The Principal of Mable Park State High School, Michael Hornby, who set up programs to support refugee students’ transition into the school system.
“There are seven categories and a special Minister's Multicultural Award to recognise an outstanding nominee,” Mr Hinchliffe said.
“I encourage anyone who works or volunteers in the multicultural sector or promotes the benefits of a multicultural Queensland, to nominate now.”
The 2018 Queensland Multicultural Awards categories are:
- Outstanding Young Achiever
- Outstanding Individual Achiever
- Education, Training and Skills
- Government (Local and State)
- Multicultural Queensland Ambassador
Nominations close at 5pm on Monday 7 May 2018. Winners will be announced at the Queensland Multicultural Awards Gala Event during Queensland Multicultural Month in August.
For more information, to nominate online or to download the nomination form visit www.qld.gov.au/QMA
Media contact: Martin Philip 0427 919 548