Qld Government renews Brisbane Broncos Deadly Choices partnership
Published Thursday, 13 April, 2017 at 11:12 AM
Minister for Health and Minister for Ambulance Services
The Honourable Cameron Dick
The Palaszczuk Government will provide $1.65M over the next three years to continue its support of the successful Brisbane Broncos Deadly Choices partnership.
Health and Ambulance Services Minister Cameron Dick made the announcement at a community day with Deadly Choices ambassadors Scott Prince and Benji Marshall in Coen this week.
Mr Dick said the funding will ensure Deadly Choices continues to be a powerful vehicle for positive change in the lifestyle of Queensland’s Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people.
“The Deadly Choices program is kicking goals when it comes to improving health knowledge, attitudes and behaviours in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people,” Mr Dick said.
“Since the commencement of the Deadly Choices program in 2012-13, there has been a significant increase in the number of health checks undertaken by Indigenous Queenslanders.
“The support of the Brisbane Broncos and prominent Indigenous ambassadors and sports celebrities has proven to be a winning formula for the program, which focuses on increasing physical activity, reducing smoking, better nutrition and regular health checks.
“The way the children and wider Coen community responded to the visit by Scott and Benji showed that having their favourite sports players as role models plays a big part in giving them the right information they need to adopt healthy behaviours.
“The program is having great success in getting Indigenous kids out onto the sporting field, which is a critical part of addressing the risk factors for chronic disease.
“Deadly Choices is also empowering Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people of all ages to take responsibility for their own health and make healthier choices.”
The Minister said the renewed partnership will see a further state-wide expansion through Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander community controlled health organisations.
He said Queensland Health’s contribution of $300,000 each year since 2013 had already enabled the program to expand across Queensland – from Brisbane and the Gold Coast, to Cape York, Mount Isa, Central Queensland, Wide Bay, Mackay and Far South West.
Minister for Local Government and Minister for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships, Mark Furner said the Deadly Choices program demonstrated the importance of partnerships in Indigenous communities.
“By working together, we’re moving a step closer to Closing the Gap of disadvantage in Indigenous communities to deliver better outcomes in health, life expectancy, education, employment and economic participation,” Mr Furner said.
Institute for Urban Indigenous Health CEO Adrian Carson said that the renewal of the Deadly Choices Partnership will support Community Controlled Health Services across Queensland to continue to utilise the Broncos brand, the marketing and media resources of the Club and access current and former Broncos players to enhance delivery of the ‘Deadly Choices’ preventative health message.
“With preventable chronic disease the leading cause of premature death and illness within our communities, closing the gap in health outcomes will only be achieved when individuals, families and communities are empowered to take control of their health and this is what the Deadly Choices program is about,” Mr Carson said.
Michelle Wellington 0437 323 834