More than $13m for domestic violence support in Queensland
Published Saturday, 04 March, 2017 at 11:30 AM
Minister for Communities, Women and Youth, Minister for Child Safety and Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence
The Honourable Shannon Fentiman
Gold Coast women affected by domestic and family violence will have more secure access to help, with support services to share in $13 million in funding.
Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence Shannon Fentiman will meet with service providers on the Gold Coast today.
Ms Fentiman said the funding would pull together previously separate funding allocations so services can get on with what they are doing best, supporting victims and working with perpetrators to change their behaviour.
“Domestic violence is coming out from behind closed doors, and more reporting means more victims reaching out for help,” she said.
“What this $13 million will do is ensure women and children in Logan, Beenleigh and on the Gold Coast who have experienced domestic and family violence can get the help they need, for the long term.
“This includes counselling and support to help them through the court process.
“Some of this funding will also go towards perpetrator intervention programs to help men change their violent and controlling behaviour.”
From 1 January 2017 – 31 December 2019, the Domestic Violence Prevention Centre Gold Coast will receive:
- $7.25 million for counselling, court support and perpetrator programs at the Gold Coast, and
- $1.61 million for its counselling services for women and children at Beenleigh.
From 1 January 2017 – 31 December 2021, Centacare will receive:
- $2.57 million for its Beenleigh Domestic Violence Assistance Program to support victims involved in domestic violence-related court proceedings at the Beenleigh Magistrates Court
- $1.60 million for its Men’s Perpetrator Behaviour Change Program at Mermaid Beach to provide group programs to men who perpetrate domestic and family violence.
In addition to the $13 million, RizeUp will for the first time receive $130,000 in government funding to employ a full time staff member.
“RizeUp is a wonderful volunteer led organisation, and it’s great to see them secure this vital funding so they can build on the wonderful work they do in the community,” Ms Fentiman said.
Nicolle Edwards, CEO of RizeUp welcomed the funding.
“This is wonderful news and will help us focus on breaking the cycle for women and children fleeing violence, by creating a safe and secure home,” she said.
Ms Fentiman said the Palaszczuk Government has invested a record almost $200 million to tackle domestic and family violence over the next four years.
“We are doing this by investing in high risk teams and integrated responses, offender change and education programs, shelters, victim support and specialist courts,” she said.
Media Contact: 0475 961 190