More Queensland families seeking help, receiving support earlier
Published Wednesday, 20 April, 2016 at 04:36 PM
Minister for Communities, Women and Youth, Minister for Child Safety and Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence
The Honourable Shannon Fentiman
Queensland’s child and family reforms are showing signs of success, with more families getting the help they need.
Child Safety Minister Shannon Fentiman today launched Supporting Families Changing Futures, which outlines the progress made so far in the child and family reforms and key priorities over the next two years.
Ms Fentiman said the publication included range of initiatives and programs that will further shift service delivery to prevention and early intervention, providing families with the support they need to safely care for their children.
“We are starting to see from that Queensland families are seeking help and accessing support sooner,” she said.
“Since January 2015 we have opened the doors of 13 new Family and Child Connect and 17 new Intensive Family Support services across the state.
“Since then, there have been more than 7000 referrals to help families connect to the services they need, when they need them.”
Ms Fentiman said that Supporting Families Changing Futures also includes a range of new measures to ensure the reforms are effective.
“Last year, the Queensland Government allocated $6.6 million over two years to help all Queensland parents and carers learn new skills through free access to the Triple P – Positive Parenting Program, and 6000 parents have accessed the program so far.
“We also allocated $31.3 million over four years to tackle domestic and family violence which is prevalent in many of the families who come to the attention of child safety.”
The Supporting Families Changing Futures publication is part of the 10-year reform program being undertaken in response to the 2013 Queensland Child Protection Commission of Inquiry report, Taking Responsibility: A roadmap for Queensland child protection.
All but one of the 121 recommendations made by the Commission have now commenced, with the final recommendation due to commence in 2019, on schedule.
Ms Fentiman said that the progress to date is encouraging but that ongoing development will be crucial to delivering outcomes for Queenslanders.
“We recognise there is still more to be done, particularly for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and families.
“The shocking over-representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families in our child protection system is nothing short of a crisis.
“While the vast majority of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander families are safely caring for their children at home, I am determined to work with community members and leaders to form community-led approaches to reverse the over-representation of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children in care.”
For more information on Supporting Families Changing Futures visit www.qld.gov.au/supportingfamiliesreforms
Media Contact: Minister Fentiman’s office 3719 7518