Next phase of Anzac Square revitalisation commences
Published Wednesday, 30 September, 2015 at 11:47 AM
Assistant Minister of State Assisting the Premier
The Honourable Stirling Hinchliffe
The Queensland Government, in partnership with Brisbane City Council, has announced the next stage of the Anzac Square restoration and enhancement project, with works set to commence before the end of the year.
Assistant Minister of State Assisting the Premier Stirling Hinchliffe today joined Lord Mayor Graham Quirk to announce the tender for the enhancement and fit-out works required to repair and refurbish the under croft of the memorial.
The Queensland Government has contributed $11.4 million to the project, with the Brisbane City Council contributing $2.2 million.
Assistant Minister Hinchliffe said Stage 3 was vital to protect a much-loved State memorial that has existed since 1930 and is home to many annual commemoration ceremonies.
“The State Government’s commitment underlines the importance of this project to Queensland’s Anzac Centenary commemoration program,” he said.
“In total, the Queensland Government has committed almost $50 million to the Anzac Centenary program between 2014 and 2018, which includes funding for community projects and events, as well as investments in important legacy projects such as Anzac Square.
“These projects and events are being rolled out across the state, in the same way that young people from all corners of Queensland contributed to the Anzac effort a century ago,” Mr Hinchliffe said.
Cr Quirk said this next stage of the project would involve refurbishment of the Shrine of Memories and Memorial Crypt, including revealing a previously concealed historic 19th century Ann Street wall.
“Works will improve wheelchair accessibility with a new connection to the pedestrian tunnel, while lighting in the Anzac Square precinct will also be upgraded.
“The Anzac Square restoration and enhancement project will add another 75 years to the lifespan of this significant war memorial and public space, ensuring it can continue to serve as a reminder of the service and sacrifice of all servicemen and women for decades to come.”
Brisbane City Council will be calling for tenders to complete the work and this is expected to be awarded in November 2015, with construction expected to commence before the end of the year and completed by Anzac Day 2016.
During the works, the Shrine of Memories will remain closed to the public and its installations and plaques will continue to be protected offsite.
This is the latest stage in the project following restoration work completed prior to Anzac Day this year.
This included extensive repairs to the water-damaged sub-structure, refurbishment of the pedestrian tunnel linking Anzac Square parkland to Central Station, and structural restoration of the Shrine of Remembrance.
For more information on the Anzac Square restoration project, visit www.qld.gov.au/anzac100 or call Brisbane City Council on (07) 3403 8888.
Assistant Minister’s office: Chris Condon 0422 018 616