Leave the car at home for Riverfire and enjoy free public transport from the fireworks
Published Friday, 25 September, 2015 at 04:07 PM
Deputy Premier, Minister for Transport, Minister for Infrastructure, Local Government and Planning and Minister for Trade
The Honourable Jackie Trad
Queenslanders heading to watch the Riverfire fireworks spectacular this weekend are encouraged to catch public transport to secure the best seat in the house.
The Deputy Premier Jackie Trad said Riverfire was an iconic event attracting more than 500,000 people and the safest and easiest way to travel to and from Southbank is to use public transport.
“Riverfire is one of the busiest public transport nights of the year and extra services will be operating across Saturday (26 September) night to get people to and from the fireworks spectacular at South Bank,” Ms Trad said.
“To help you travel home safely, train and bus travel will be free from Southbank, South Brisbane and Roma Street train stations and Southbank, Mater Hill and Cultural Centre busway stations for two hours after the fireworks finish.
“With road closures and diversions planned throughout the City, South Bank and Fortitude Valley areas, buses and trains are by far the best way to avoid parking and traffic hassles around the Riverfire precinct.”
Additional inbound buses will run from these key locations:
- Inala Plaza, stop B - every 30 minutes from 2.27pm to 5.57pm
- Eight Miles Plains station platform 1- every 16 minutes from 2.23pm to 6.51pm
- Garden City Interchange, Stop D - every 30 minutes from 2.46pm to 6.16pm
- Altandi stop, Mains Road at Shearwin Street - every 10- 15 minutes from 2.29pm to 6.39pm
- Sunflower shop, Honeysuckle Way near Beaudesert Road - every 15 minutes from 2.03pm to 6.03pm
- Garden City Interchange, stop I - 4.48pm, 5.22, 5.37pm, 5.56pm, 6.30pm, 6.45pm
- Garden City Interchange, stop H every 30 minutes from 2.32pm to 6.02pm
- Carina stop, Old Cleveland Road at Jones Road - every 15 minutes from 2.22pm to 6.37pm
- Toombul Shopping Centre, stop C - every 30 minutes from 2.20pm to 6.20pm
- Chermside Shopping Centre. stop A - every 15 minutes from 2.52pm to 6.37pm
- Aspley Hypermarket, stop B - every 15 minutes from 2.07pm to 6.22pm
- Waterworks Road every 15 minutes - from 2.32pm to 6.17pm
- Kenmore Central - every 15 minutes between 2.06pm to 2.51pm, 3.07pm to 3.52pm, 4.21pm to 6.21pm
- Riverhills West - every 30 minutes from 2.25pm to 5.55pm
- Heathwood (Parkwood Terminus) - every 60 minutes from 2.30pm to 5.30pm
- Redland Bay Marina - 2pm, 3pm, 4pm, 4.15pm, 5pm.
Due to limited capacity and to ensure passenger safety, the free travel offer will not be available on City Cat and ferry services and normal TransLink fares would apply.
For details on getting to and from Riverfire 2015, visit www.translink.com.au or phone 13 12 30, anytime.
Media contacts: Deputy Premier’s Office: 0488 996 667