Extra support in Redlands for victims of domestic and family violence
Published Thursday, 24 September, 2015 at 12:42 PM
Minister for Communities, Women and Youth, Minister for Child Safety and Minister for Multicultural Affairs
The Honourable Shannon Fentiman
Families affected by domestic and family violence in the Redlands area now have greater access to help with the official opening of a new local service today.
Minister for Women and Communities, Shannon Fentiman, opened “WAVSS across the Redlands” which is delivering locally-based support for victims of family abuse for the first time.
The service is run by the successful Working Against Violence Support Service (WAVSS) and offers domestic violence counselling, along with court support and perpetrator intervention programs.
“Domestic and family violence is tearing apart families across Queensland. The Palaszczuk Government is determined to tackle this problem and help victims get the support they need,” Ms Fentiman said.
“We are increasing local support services available in communities across the state, with an extra $49 million in funding over five years.
“We must make sure that when victims have the courage to speak out, we have the support services there to help them.
“The Government will spend $66 million this financial year alone on services to tackle domestic and family violence.
“And last week we announced we would fast-track key measures including increasing penalties for offenders who breach DV orders and improving the police response for victims seeking help.”
Member for Capalaba, Don Brown, said WAVSS would receive nearly $2.3 million in extra funding over three years for services for the Redlands.
“We know that face-to-face contact is so important for victims of domestic and family violence when they reach out for help,” Mr Brown said.
“This is one of the ways the Government is offering support, but it is also up to us as a community to stand up and say no to domestic and family violence.”
Last week, the Government announced it would fast-track key measures in the Not Now, Not Ever report by the Special Taskforce chaired by the Honourable Quentin Bryce.
This includes amending legislation to increase penalties for perpetrators who breach domestic violence orders, along with giving victims ‘special witness’ status so they do not have to give evidence in the same room as the alleged perpetrator.
The Queensland Government is establishing two new 72 hour crisis shelters - in Brisbane and Townsville - for women and children escaping violence. And the specialist Domestic Violence Court at Southport commenced in early September.
The Government’s actions include a range of initiatives from education in schools, workplaces and homes, through to improvements to the health, police and justice responses, more coordinated help for victims, including greater information sharing and increasing perpetrator programs.
Read the Government’s latest statements on its work to tackle domestic and family violence:
Have your say on Queensland’s draft Domestic and Family Violence Prevention Strategy 2015-2025
Media Contact: Alex Purnell 0437 336 232