Palaszczuk Government Moves to Tackle Domestic Violence
Published Sunday, 13 September, 2015 at 11:02 AM
Premier and Minister for the Arts
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk has announced a raft of immediate actions to tackle domestic and family violence in Queensland, including improvements to the way police handle complaints.
Cabinet will also urgently consider the introduction of a Death Review Panel, to identify where current processes have failed women.
The Premier said a horrific week, which saw the murders of two women in separate incidents and a machete attack on another woman, had firmed her government’s resolve to act.
“My government had already committed to implementing all 140 recommendations of the Not Now, Not Ever report into family and domestic violence,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“This is the most comprehensive reform package ever initiated in Queensland, and we are determined to follow through on it.
“Events of the past week have both shocked and galvanised the community. The Government has decided to immediately implement changes to the way police stations handle individual domestic violence complaints, we will fast-track the roll-out of 300 body-worn cameras on the Gold Coast, and we will take plans to implement a Death Review Panel to Cabinet on Monday.”
- Priority attention for anyone who attends the front counter of a police station on domestic violence issues
- The need for Police supervisors to conduct mandatory quality checks on all over-the-counter requests for domestic violence orders
- The urgent roll-out of 300 body-worn cameras for police on the Gold Coast, to assist in gathering evidence
“Our police officers act swiftly and sensitively in domestic violence-related matters. It’s a tough job and they do it well. It’s not easy. It’s not nine-to-five and it can sometimes be dangerous. For that, we owe them a debt of gratitude,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“But these new initiatives, on which we have worked closely with the Police Commissioner, will provide checks and balances on their over-the-counter dealings with victims of domestic violence, to ensure we are offering the most appropriate responses.”
Tomorrow Cabinet will discuss ways to fast-track the implementation of a Death Review Panel, to identify gaps in the support available for victims.
“This is a vital initiative, to establish a true picture of the lead-up to these tragic cases, to identify what systemic changes must be made as a priority, and establish a clear framework to prevent future tragedies.
The government has also announced that Beenleigh and Logan will be the first trial site of a new, integrated response to domestic violence to work with the existing Gold Cost integrated response to ensure a systematic approach right across the region.
“We will provide funding to bringing together service providers and agencies to develop a model for a full integrated response to domestic violence – essentially, a “one stop shop” for support services.
“This means that the many links in the chain - police, hospitals, domestic violence services, corrections staff – everyone with a role to play in keeping a victim safe, and holding the perpetrator to account, are working to the same agreed approach.”
A further two trial sites – in rural Queensland and in an indigenous community – will be announced in coming months.
“There will be more government initiatives in the days, weeks, and months ahead, as we work to tackle this scourge on our society,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“But I must stress that this is not up to the government alone. Domestic and family violence can only be eradicated if we respond as a community.
“Together we must insist on respectful relationships, together we must refuse to turn a blind eye to violence, and together we must say enough is enough. Only then can we truly put an end to these despicable and cowardly crimes.”
Details of the government’s response to the Not Now, Not Ever report can be found at www.qld.gov.au/enddomesticandfamilyviolence