Grantham Floods Commission of Inquiry extended
Published Sunday, 09 August, 2015 at 11:45 AM
Premier and Minister for the Arts
The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
The Queensland Government’s Grantham Floods Commission of Inquiry has been extended to ensure that the thorough investigations underway can continue, and impacted families can have the closure they deserve.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the Inquiry chaired by respected QC Walter Sofronoff would continue public hearings until 21 August.
The Inquiry had been due to report back by 31 August, but the final report would now be provided by 30 September 2015.
“The Commission’s work has been difficult, complicated and time consuming and has involved a large volume of material,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“Since starting in May the Commission’s investigations have focused around the flooding of the Lockyer Creek between Helidon and Grantham on 10 January 2011, with particular emphasis on whether the Grantham Quarry could have altered or contributed to the flooding.
“Already 38 witnesses (as at 7 August 2015), have been called to give evidence at the Commission’s hearing, and more may be required.
“The Commission of Inquiry is important, not only for the community and Grantham residents but for all Queenslanders, as that fateful day touched the lives of so many people.
“The destruction and loss the floods brought to families, homes and businesses will not be forgotten.”
Ms Palaszczuk said the Government established the Commission after listening to the calls of the community, Grantham residents and the Mayor of the Lockyer Valley Regional Council for a new inquiry.
“This extension of time will allow the Commission to undertake a comprehensive review of all material,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“It will also provide parties with an opportunity to consider initial findings and make any final submissions.
“My government is committed to the Inquiry because Queenslanders, and the people of Grantham want the truth to prevail,” Ms Palaszczuk said.
“They need and deserve further closure, so they can move on with their lives in the wake of one of the most serious natural disasters in history, and we are determined to help them achieve that.”
Media contact: 3719 7000