Queensland artist assists China earthquake victims
Published Thursday, 26 June, 2008 at 08:26 AM
Minister for Transport, Trade, Employment and Industrial Relations
The Honourable John Mickel
Following a major breakthrough last year in becoming the first Australian artist to sign a record deal in China, Brisbane musician Nik Phillips is giving something back to the Chinese people.
Nik Phillips has donated his song-writing and performance skills to help raise money for victims of the devastating earthquake that hit China’s Sichuan Province on the 12th of May.
Minister for Trade John Mickel congratulated Nik Phillips on his contribution to a major televised charity concert held in Guangzhou, China that saw him performing alongside prominent Chinese artist and media personality, DJ Lam.
“The concert was televised on Tuesday 3 June on 30 TV stations via 11 networks covering all of China, and featured the launch of Nik’s song,” Mr Mickel said.
“As a follow up, DJ Lam and three other high profile Chinese performers as well as leading management and program directors from the Guangdong media company are visiting Queensland this week.
“In an excellent promotional and relationship-building opportunity for Queensland, the Chinese artists will be filming a video clip with Nik Phillips and performing at an earthquake fundraising dinner in Brisbane on Sunday June 29, with proceeds supporting the Red Cross Sichuan Appeal.
“Trade Queensland, the Government’s export agency, has helped Nik Phillips to obtain his record deal and secure his Chinese tour, and continues to help him as he builds profile.
“Nik recently returned from his promotional tour of China for his new album Postcard, which marks yet another milestone for him as the first Australian music album to be released nationally in China.
“His record company in China asked if he could help out by dedicating a song, and performing at a special charity concert on 30 May. Nik agreed without hesitation and moved quickly to cement his contribution.
“With the support of his record company, he quickly produced a new song penned especially for the earthquake victims called Hold Their Spirits High.
“He recorded the song with the help of DJ Lam – a well known Chinese music artist and radio host, and it was performed for the first time at the earthquake charity concert on 30 May.
Nik Phillips said he was pleased to be assisting earthquake fundraising efforts and promoting Queensland as a friend to China.
“It was suggested to me that I write a song for the victims and record it with a Chinese artist as a fundraiser, so I wrote Hold Their Spirits High, and DJ Lam came onboard,” Mr Phillips said.
“I am in a unique position to be able to work with the Chinese government-owned media. My record company is Government owned as part of the Southern Media Group, one of the most influential companies in Chinese media.
“Southern Media Group secured permission to organise an outdoor fundraising concert in downtown Guangzhou. This is quite a breakthrough for a western artist and we are breaking new ground as we go,” Mr Phillips said.
All funds raised from the Guangzhou concert, expected to be over A$1 million, will go to the Red Cross earthquake appeal in China.
ENDS
Media contact for Minister Mickel: John Smith 3227 1944 or Nathan Moir 3235 4060
Note : The China Sichuan Earthquake Dinner will be held at the Jindalee Hotel on Sunday 29 June at 7.30pm. Tickets are $100 per head (Tables of 10), enquiries and bookings through the Jindalee Hotel on 07 3710 5825 or through RAW Productions on 0411 602 889
26 June 2008
Nik Phillips has donated his song-writing and performance skills to help raise money for victims of the devastating earthquake that hit China’s Sichuan Province on the 12th of May.
Minister for Trade John Mickel congratulated Nik Phillips on his contribution to a major televised charity concert held in Guangzhou, China that saw him performing alongside prominent Chinese artist and media personality, DJ Lam.
“The concert was televised on Tuesday 3 June on 30 TV stations via 11 networks covering all of China, and featured the launch of Nik’s song,” Mr Mickel said.
“As a follow up, DJ Lam and three other high profile Chinese performers as well as leading management and program directors from the Guangdong media company are visiting Queensland this week.
“In an excellent promotional and relationship-building opportunity for Queensland, the Chinese artists will be filming a video clip with Nik Phillips and performing at an earthquake fundraising dinner in Brisbane on Sunday June 29, with proceeds supporting the Red Cross Sichuan Appeal.
“Trade Queensland, the Government’s export agency, has helped Nik Phillips to obtain his record deal and secure his Chinese tour, and continues to help him as he builds profile.
“Nik recently returned from his promotional tour of China for his new album Postcard, which marks yet another milestone for him as the first Australian music album to be released nationally in China.
“His record company in China asked if he could help out by dedicating a song, and performing at a special charity concert on 30 May. Nik agreed without hesitation and moved quickly to cement his contribution.
“With the support of his record company, he quickly produced a new song penned especially for the earthquake victims called Hold Their Spirits High.
“He recorded the song with the help of DJ Lam – a well known Chinese music artist and radio host, and it was performed for the first time at the earthquake charity concert on 30 May.
Nik Phillips said he was pleased to be assisting earthquake fundraising efforts and promoting Queensland as a friend to China.
“It was suggested to me that I write a song for the victims and record it with a Chinese artist as a fundraiser, so I wrote Hold Their Spirits High, and DJ Lam came onboard,” Mr Phillips said.
“I am in a unique position to be able to work with the Chinese government-owned media. My record company is Government owned as part of the Southern Media Group, one of the most influential companies in Chinese media.
“Southern Media Group secured permission to organise an outdoor fundraising concert in downtown Guangzhou. This is quite a breakthrough for a western artist and we are breaking new ground as we go,” Mr Phillips said.
All funds raised from the Guangzhou concert, expected to be over A$1 million, will go to the Red Cross earthquake appeal in China.
ENDS
Media contact for Minister Mickel: John Smith 3227 1944 or Nathan Moir 3235 4060
Note : The China Sichuan Earthquake Dinner will be held at the Jindalee Hotel on Sunday 29 June at 7.30pm. Tickets are $100 per head (Tables of 10), enquiries and bookings through the Jindalee Hotel on 07 3710 5825 or through RAW Productions on 0411 602 889
26 June 2008