Published Thursday, 02 July, 2026 at 09:30 AM

Minister for Natural Resources and Mines, Minister for Manufacturing and Minister for Regional and Rural Development
The Honourable Dale Last

Investment in coal asset locks-in jobs for regional Queenslanders

  • The Crisafulli Government has welcomed the acquisition of Bowen Coking Coal supporting 250 Queensland coal jobs.
  • Argo Bowen 2, a wholly owned subsidiary of Argo Holdings Qld, will acquire 100 per cent of Bowen Coking Coal, seeking to restart operations at the Burton Coal Mine 120km south of Mackay.
  • The acquisition is another vote of confidence in Queensland’s coal industry - under the Crisafulli Government - and follows Argo’s investment in Broadlea, Carborough Downs and Ironbark mines.
  • The Crisafulli Government is delivering better services through a stronger economy with a stable operating and investment environment for mining companies after Labor’s anti-mining policies drove investment off a cliff.  

The Crisafulli Government’s open for business approach and support for the resources industry is delivering for regional Queensland, with Argo’s acquisition of Bowen Coking Coal securing the long-term future of 250 workers at the Burton Coal Mine.  

The acquisition is another major vote of confidence in Queensland’s coal industry under the Crisafulli Government from local and European investors, following Argo’s 70 per cent acquisition of Fitzroy Australia Resources late last year. 

This latest investment builds on Argo’s substantial coal portfolio and cements the reputable mining consortium’s long-term commitment to Queensland’s Bowen Basin coal assets, and regional Queensland jobs. 

The Crisafulli Government has built a strong relationship with Argo after Premier David Crisafulli secured the consortium’s investment in Broadlea, Carborough Downs and Ironbark mines following his Trade Mission to India and Japan in 2025.  

Meanwhile, Minister for Natural Resources and Mines Dale Last met with consortium partners during his Trade Mission to South Korea and Japan earlier this year. 

Together, Argo’s investments secure the long-term future of more than 1250 employees, contractors and suppliers across the four mine sites.    

The Crisafulli Government is delivering better services through a stronger economy and restoring investment into Queensland’s world-class coal industry after the former Labor Government destroyed international confidence and risked thousands of regional jobs.  

Minister for Natural Resources and Mines Dale Last said Queensland’s coal industry continued to underpin the State’s economic prosperity.  

“Queensland is home to some of the world’s best coal mines and with current global energy and supply chain instability, now more than ever we are reminded of the importance of the world-class assets in our own backyard,” Minister Dale Last said.  

“We continue to see renewed demand globally for Queensland’s world-class thermal and coking coal and Argo’s investment is another vote of confidence in our mining industry and the thousands of Queenslanders it supports. 

“Unlike the former Labor government who drove investment away, we’ll back those who want to do business across our resources sector.” 

Argo Natural Resources CEO Richard Livingstone-Blevins said Argo was well positioned to capitalise on the acquisition.  

“The acquisition of Bowen Coking Coal is transformational when combined with Argo’s existing portfolio, following our recent acquisition of a majority stake in Fitzroy Australia Resources,” said Mr Livingstone-Blevins. 

“With a consolidated portfolio spanning approximately 50 kilometres of strike length in the heart of the Bowen Basin, including two coal handling plants, two rail loops, multiple stockpiles and an integrated haul-road network, Argo is exceptionally well positioned to unlock significant operational synergies.  

“This scale and infrastructure provide a strong platform to optimise existing mining assets while accelerating the development of new mine opportunities across the portfolio.” 

ENDS 

MEDIA CONTACT: Eloise Linneth 0458 592 640 

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION: 

Since coming to office, the Crisafulli Government has backed in projects that would support more than 9,575 Queensland mining jobs, including: 

  • 2026 – Argo Natural Resources acquisition of Bowen Coking Coal – 250 jobs secured;
  • 2026 – Meandu Coal Mine extension approved – 500 jobs secured;
  • 2026 – Dhilmar Limited acquisition of Anglo American’s five steelmaking coal mines - 3,550 jobs;
  • 2026 – Yancoal Australia investment in Kestral Coal Mine – 800 jobs secured;
  • 2026 – Ensham Coal Mine extension approved – 700 jobs secured;
  • 2025 – Argo Natural Resources deal on Fitzroy Resources – 1000 jobs secured;
  • 2025 – Centurion Mine declared Coordinated Project – 525 new jobs;
  • 2025 – Eva Copper investment decision secured – 1,450 new jobs;
  • 2025 – Bravus expansion announced – opening the door to 600 new jobs;
  • 2025 – Graphinex Esmaralda Graphite Project declared Coordinated Project – 200 jobs.