Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    JOINT STATEMENT
    Premier
    The Honourable Campbell Newman
    Minister for Education, Training and Employment
    The Honourable John-Paul Langbroek

    CQU dual sector decision reached

    JOINT STATEMENT

    Premier
    The Honourable Campbell Newman

    Minister for Education, Training and Employment
    The Honourable John-Paul Langbroek

    Tuesday, September 11, 2012

    CQU dual sector decision reached

    The Newman Government has today fulfilled its commitment to resolve the proposed merger of Central Queensland University (CQU) and Central Queensland Institute of TAFE (CQIT).

    Premier Campbell Newman said Cabinet had today given in principle support to the merger of the two institutions.

    “I’m committed to ensuring that Queensland school leavers have access to as many pathways as possible to achieve the qualifications they need to begin their careers in our state’s economy,” Mr Newman said.

    “The merger of CQU and CQIT will ensure that they work together to provide Central Queenslanders with a quality education offering and help address the skills shortages in the Central Queensland region.

    “By joining the brands together, it is predicted that a dual-sector institution will attract a greater number of students from both the international and domestic student markets.

    “This is about strengthening our commitment to developing skills and building a strong economy for Queenslanders.”

    Mr Newman said that in coming to its decision Cabinet considered the Ernst and Young Due Diligence Report which outlined some concerns around the proposed merger.

    Cabinet support is conditional on CQU and CQIT addressing concerns around financial and governance issues raised by Ernst and Young in the Report.

    Minister for Education, Training and Employment John-Paul Langbroek said there had been strong support for the merger from the local community.

    “We went to the election promising Central Queenslanders that we would resolve the issue of the merger sooner rather than later and I’m proud to say we’ve delivered this in our first six months,” Mr Langbroek said.

    “The dual sector proposal received strong support from community leaders including Members of Parliament and the business community.

    “The Newman Government recognises that Central Queenslanders have been fighting for this merger for more than two years and we are pleased to support them as they seek to enhance the training opportunities in the region.”

    [ENDS] 10 September 2012
    Media Contact: (Minister Langbroek) Danita Goodwin 0439 886 652
    (Premier’s Office) Kylie Jacobson 3224 4500