Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Deputy Premier, Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning
    The Honourable Jeff Seeney

    CONNORS RIVER DAM DECISION

    Deputy Premier, Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning
    The Honourable Jeff Seeney

    Friday, July 27, 2012

    CONNORS RIVER DAM DECISION

    The Newman Government has received formal advice from the SunWater Board that it has decided not to proceed with the Connors River Dam and Pipelines (CRDP) project because it is not financially viable at this time.

    SunWater and the Government will now examine potential water availability from existing infrastructure such as the Fairbairn and Burdekin Dams.

    The Connors Dam decision followed a query from the Government earlier this month asking SunWater whether the CRDP project had a viable funding source.
     
    Deputy Premier and Minister for State Development, Infrastructure and Planning, Jeff Seeney said he understood the decision of the SunWater Board.
     
    “I am pleased the SunWater Board has now presented the Government with a statement of facts,” he said.
     
    “While we have openly supported the CRDP concept, its current $1.3billion price tag puts the current project well-beyond the Government’s and industry’s capacity to fund.

    “The Government’s focus will now be on looking at other options that will help secure a reliable and affordable water supply for the region.
     
    “I will convene a meeting with the appropriate Ministers next week to fast track alternative water supply options.

    “I have absolutely no confidence in the availability figures the former Beattie and Bligh Governments arrived at in their water resource planning exercises in this area.
     
    “I said then and reaffirm now that the Beattie-Bligh exercise was nothing more than a political exercise with very little scientific backing.”

    Mr Seeney said the` decision not to proceed with the CRDP project at this time did not mean that a similar project could not be commercially viable in the future.
     
    He said the Government would re-consider the SunWater decision if and when the project became more financially viable.

    Additionally land that had been acquired for the dam would be retained by the government to be used at a future date should circumstances allow.

    [ENDS] 27 July 2012

    Media Contact:
    John Wiseman – 3224 4600