Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Attorney-General, Minister for Local Government and Special Minister of State
    The Honourable Paul Lucas

    Bill simplifies infrastructure charges and provides certainty

    Attorney-General, Minister for Local Government and Special Minister of State
    The Honourable Paul Lucas

    Tuesday, May 10, 2011

    Bill simplifies infrastructure charges and provides certainty

    The State Government today introduced key legislation to Parliament that will enable infrastructure charging reforms to commence from July 1.

    Standard maximum infrastructure charges will be set at $28,000 for a home with three or more bedrooms, and $20,000 for one and two-bedroom homes.

    Deputy Premier and Minister for Local Government Paul Lucas said the Bligh Government had worked hard to get the charges right to help stimulate the building industry, create jobs and improve housing affordability.

    “These maximum charges were reached following the recommendations of the independent Infrastructure Charges Taskforce," Mr Lucas said.

    “With more than a third of all Queensland jobs are in the building and construction industries, so it’s important to get the balance right.

    “The latest report from the Housing Industry Association shows new home sales soared by 11.1 per cent in Queensland in March, well ahead of the national increase of 4.3 per cent.

    “We need to keep focused to ensure this growth continues to deliver more jobs and houses and increase housing affordability.

    “Introducing maximum charges is a key way of assisting the recovery of the building industry whilst providing opportunities for Queensland families to purchase their own home."

    Mr Lucas said a central element of the reforms was giving local governments flexibility to choose whether they adopt maximum charges or charge lesser amounts for infrastructure.

    “This will give councils the ability to choose lower infrastructure charges that are appropriate for their local communities, while stimulating construction activity and competing for investment,” he said.

    “The State Government was forced to step in to the charges debate to provide simplicity and consistency for local governments and developers who couldn’t work this out between themselves.

    “This is a maximum charge that has been set and it’s important to note local governments are responsible for setting their own local charges.

    “If local governments want to subsidise infrastructure charging to stimulate development and jobs they will still be allowed to – in fact I encourage it.”

    Mr Lucas said the amendments would not fundamentally change the existing planning system, but would simplify the current clutter and confusion around infrastructure charging arrangements.

    A key part of the bill is the establishment of a head of power to make a State Planning Regulatory Provision (SPRP) which will implement the maximum charges across Queensland.

    The Infrastructure Charges Taskforce was created to stimulate the building industry, and was a key initiative from the State Government’s Growth Management Summit held in March last year.

    The draft Bill will be available at

    Media contact: Thea Phillips 0400 232 341