Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Premier and Minister for Reconstruction
    The Honourable Anna Bligh

    Round Three of Premier’s Disaster Relief Fund offers up to $80,000

    Premier and Minister for Reconstruction
    The Honourable Anna Bligh

    Thursday, April 07, 2011

    Round Three of Premier’s Disaster Relief Fund offers up to $80,000

    Premier Anna Bligh has today announced the arrangements for round three of the Premier’s Disaster Relief Fund, which offers grants of up to $80,000 for Queenslanders who sustained flood or cyclone damage to their homes.

    Ms Bligh said applications for the next funding round – which will open next Monday, April 11 – would target those Queenslanders whose homes were not destroyed but sustained significant damage.

    “This third funding round will extend to those people whose homes were not destroyed but have experienced other major structural damage – those people who may for instance still be living without a kitchen or a bathroom,” Ms Bligh said.

    “As with the second funding round, the same generous income test will be applied to determine eligibility for assistance and the amount of assistance that the applicant may be eligible to receive.

    “Owner occupied households with combined income of up to $150,000 a year will be eligible for payments from round three.

    “Everyone who is eligible will receive an initial payment of $5,000 with further assistance of up to a maximum of $80,000.

    “Eligible applicants will receive $5,000 for every $10,000 of assessed damage up to that maximum.

    “In the simplest terms that means a family with $50,000 in assessed damage and no insurance would receive $25,000 from the Fund.”

    Insurance payments, ex-gratia payments and any assistance provided under the NDRRA Community Recovery Structural Assistance Grants will be taken into account when deciding the actual level of assistance provided.

    Applicants will need to provide two quotes from Building Services Authority-licensed builders.

    The new round of funding grants follows the first payments which offered an initial $2,000 for every adult and $1,000 for every child who experienced flooding above their floorboards or cyclone damage to their living areas.

    Ms Bligh said to date almost $60 million had been paid out to more than 24,400 flood and cyclone victims in round one grants from the Fund, which has raised $252 million.

    Round two payments – which offer grants of up to $100,000 to Queenslanders whose homes were destroyed in the floods – are still open, with more than 200 applications already received.

    Initial payments of $10,000 have now issued to 17 applicants, with six receiving further significant payments of up to $90,000.

    “We know there are many hundreds more people out there who have lost their homes but have not yet applied to the Fund and I would encourage them to do so.

    “My advice is do not wait for your insurer. You should lodge your claim to the Appeal Fund while your claim is being settled. If you are eligible for assistance, you will receive an initial payment of $10,000 while we liaise with your insurer over the final settlement of your claim.”

    Applications forms and full details for the round three funding will be available from next Monday, 11 April.

    The application form will be available for download from www.qld.gov.au/floods, and local outlets including the Department of Communities and QGAP offices.

    Applications close on 30 June 2011.

    MEDIA: Premier’s Office on (07) 3224 4500

    7 April 2011