Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Education and Training
    The Honourable Geoff Wilson

    Contingency plans activated as cleanup continues at flood-affected state schools

    Minister for Education and Training
    The Honourable Geoff Wilson

    Tuesday, January 18, 2011

    Contingency plans activated as cleanup continues at flood-affected state schools

    As the cleanup continues at flood-affected state schools throughout Queensland, Education and Training Minister Geoff Wilson today announced that contingency arrangements had been activated for Milton State School, Rocklea State School and Milpera State High School.

    Mr Wilson said all three schools had sustained extensive damage after being inundated by floodwaters.

    “These schools are among around 90 schools that have been hard hit by devastating flooding across Queensland,” he said.

    “Despite the best efforts of their P&C’s and school communities, countless volunteers, Department of Education and Training staff and Department of Public Works staff the buildings are just too badly damaged and won’t be ready by Monday 24 January.

    “Safety of students and staff is our number one priority and arrangements are in place for students from Milton and Rocklea State Schools and Milpera State High School for classes to be held at nearby schools and TAFEs.

    Students from Milton SS will be accommodated at the Queensland Academy of Science Maths and Technology at Toowong, students from Milpera SHS will be accommodated at Yeronga TAFE, and students from Rocklea SS will go to Moorooka SS.

    “Every state school student will be able to attend school from next Monday regardless of whether their school is open or not.

    “This will also ensure there is no disruption to any Queensland students’ education."

    The Department of Education and Training has been working on contingency plans for every school impacted by flooding.

    “Every state school impacted by flooding is being assessed on a daily basis to determine whether they can open for day one of the new school year,” Mr Wilson said.

    “Contingency plans are already in place for every state school affected by flooding should they be needed.

    “A final decision will be made late tomorrow about any other schools which will need to activate their contingency plans.

    “Once it’s decided a school can’t open parents and carers will be contacted and the community made aware of the arrangements."

    Mr Wilson said the clean up at most state schools was in full swing and a lot of progress has already been made.

    “There are varying degrees of damage and the decision to re-open state schools will be made on a case-by-case basis,” he said.

    “Some schools have just minor damage such as soggy carpet which can be replaced quickly while others will need extensive repairs after floodwaters reached the roof.

    “It’s important to get students back into schools as soon as it is safe to do so, to provide a sense of normality and stability for them and their families during this difficult time.

    “The job of cleaning schools and getting them ready for next week is being made a lot easier thanks to the wonderful armies of volunteers made up of students, staff, parents and community members.

    “Schools are the heart and soul of our communities and I thank everyone who has pitched in to get our schools back on their feet.”

    Anyone wishing to help with the schools clean-up is asked to register with Volunteering Queensland.

    A list of flood-affected schools is being updated regularly at http://deta.qld.gov.au/flood-areas.html#schools.

    Media contact: 3237 1000