Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Tourism and Fair Trading
    The Honourable Peter Lawlor

    Stronger laws to ban troublemakers

    Minister for Tourism and Fair Trading
    The Honourable Peter Lawlor

    Wednesday, November 24, 2010

    Stronger laws to ban troublemakers

    Stronger laws to ban troublemakers are on the way as part of the Bligh Government’s $4.2 million Drink Safe Precincts to address alcohol-related violence.

    Amendments to legislation passed in Parliament last night have now given courts the ability to ban troublemakers from pubs and clubs for up to 12 months.

    Minister responsible for liquor regulation Peter Lawlor said the Bligh Government had said ‘enough is enough’ to alcohol-related violence.

    “We want to see an environment where people can go out, have a good time, and return home safely – and these banning powers are part of that,” Mr Lawlor said.

    Mr Lawlor said the new measures sent a clear message to anyone committing violent acts or engaging in anti-social behaviour in and around licensed premises.

    “It might just be a case of one strike and you’re out,” he said.

    “Individual responsibility is the message – people who go out looking for trouble, and endanger public safety must be held to account.”

    Under the new laws, adults convicted of a violent act can be banned by Magistrates Court from in and around licensed premises within the precinct, and elsewhere in the state, under the Penalties and Sentences Act 1992.

    A ban can also be made a condition of bail under the Bail Act 1980.

    Additionally, under the Liquor Act 1992, police can apply to the court to have an individual who has committed a violent act or engaged in anti-social behaviour in a Drink Safe Precinct banned from a precinct or licensed premises within the precinct.

    The new bans are part of the Bligh Government’s response to the Parliamentary Inquiry into alcohol-related violence. The initiative was one of 68 recommendations announced by the Law, Justice and Safety Committee earlier this year.

    The Drink Safe Precincts will feature increased police numbers during peak times; better transport options; the creation of special safe zones; more community workers out on the street to help people; free water for patrons; and stronger laws to ban troublemakers.

    Mr Lawlor said he believed the liquor industry would welcome this news.

    “The industry called for it – and we listened,” Mr Lawlor said.

    “Government and industry are doing their part. We’ve joined forces to come up with targeted, grass-roots strategies in Drink Safe Precincts and patrons must now take responsibility for their own actions.

    “Violence will not be tolerated. Everyone deserves to go out, have a good time, and return home safely,” Mr Lawlor said.

    Media contact: Minister’s Office 3225 1005