Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Local Government and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships
    The Honourable Desley Boyle

    Funding helps Tablelands cover cyclone flooding response

    Minister for Local Government and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships
    The Honourable Desley Boyle

    Tuesday, November 09, 2010

    Funding helps Tablelands cover cyclone flooding response

    Local Government Minister Desley Boyle has announced $2.2 million in assistance to cover repair bills incurred by Tablelands Regional Council after the monsoonal storm and cyclone-related flooding in December 2009 and April this year.

    “Monsoonal rains associated with several storms as well as Cyclones Olga and Neville earlier this year wreaked havoc across Queensland and the Tablelands was hit hard,” Ms Boyle said.

    “Localised flooding affected the entire road network, washing out road surfaces and damaging floodways.

    “The Council was left with a huge job clearing silt and debris from roads and repairing bitumen seals and shoulder repairs.

    “Given the scale of the damage, it would have been a huge financial burden if Council had cover all of the costs on its own.

    “Instead the joint State and Federal Government-funded Natural Disaster Relief and Recovery Arrangements has kicked in, taking a huge weight off of the Council purse.

    “Under NDRRA we are providing $2,203,241 of the total $2,441,241cost, with Council contributing $238,000.”

    Among major repairs were:

    • Atherton / Tolga area roads $184,815

    • Yungabarra roads $135,309

    • Malanda rods $265,376

    • Dimbulah roads $264,343

    Works include bringing in tonnes of road base material to replace what was washed away, resealing roads, restoring road shoulders and cleaning out table drains to prevent further pooling of water which causes significant damage to the roads.

    “The State Government is committed to supporting Queensland’s communities in the aftermath of natural disasters which is why the NDRRA program is a vital support,” Ms Boyle said.

    “It means Councils can get on with the job of restoring essential public assets to pre-disaster standards without compromising their capital works programs and services.”

    Since January 2009, more than $444 million has been committed to Queensland Councils under this disaster relief program.

    Media Contact: Minister Boyle’s Office - 3227 8819