Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    JOINT STATEMENT
    Premier
    The Honourable Anna Bligh
    Minister for Health
    The Honourable Stephen Robertson

    Cairns Hospital redevelopment full steam ahead: Bligh

    JOINT STATEMENT

    Premier
    The Honourable Anna Bligh

    Minister for Health
    The Honourable Stephen Robertson

    Wednesday, September 03, 2008

    Cairns Hospital redevelopment full steam ahead: Bligh

    ‘CBH 1st money, planning design teams announced &9 EOIs for South land’

    CAIRNS: The $446 million redevelopment of the Cairns Base Hospital is full steam ahead with first contacts awarded to planning and design teams, Premier Anna Bligh said today.
    “I can also announce that $49.09 million has been released to appoint five companies to begin the works,” said Ms Bligh who is in Cairns to address the Queensland Local Government Association Conference.

    The Premier and Health Minister Stephen Robertson today officially announced the companies commissioned to plan and design the redevelopment.

    The Premier said she was very pleased to be able to announce the project team so soon – as yet another example of her Government getting on with the job of delivering better health services to Queensland.

    “It means that we are one step closer to delivering on our commitment to better health services for the Cairns community.

    “I am sure local residents and staff will be happy to hear that design work will start on the redevelopment straight away,” she said.

    Mr Robertson said the project team would design a hospital to meet North Queensland’s unique health care needs.

    “To achieve this goal, the project team will work closely with health and education sector representatives, local and State Government, Health Community Councils and local community members to ensure the redevelopment delivers the best possible health services for the Far North,” he said.

    Member for Cairns, Tourism Minister Desley Boyle; Member for Mulgrave, Local Government Minister Warren Pitt, Member for Cook Jason O’Brien and Member for Barron River Steve Wettenhall welcomed the Premier’s announcement.

    “The Premier’s has been the driver of this project by sourcing the funding and with the Health Minister they are making sure the Far North’s health needs are being addressed,” said Mr Wettenhall.

    “This is clear evidence of a government planning and improving services in the Far North.”

    Ms Boyle said it was pleasing that three of the firms have Cairns connections.

    Following expressions of interest in June 2008, shortlisted companies were invited to prepare detailed submissions which were evaluated by a panel comprising representatives of the District, together with the Major Hospitals Project Office and Project Services.

    Mr Robertson said the high-calibre companies were selected after rigorous evaluation.

    The consultant team comprises:

    • Project Managers and Programmers: APP Corporation
    • Architects and Principal Consultants: Daryl Jackson, MSJ and FaB
    • Building Services Engineers: Bassett Consulting Engineers
    • Civil and Structural Engineers: Arup
    • Quantity surveyors: Davis Langdon

    MEANWHILE - In other exciting news for Cairns residents Ms Bligh also announced nine submissions had been received in response to an Expression of Interest (EOI) seeking land in South Cairns as an expansion zone for future health services.

    “An evaluation of the EOIs is currently underway and significant consultation will occur in the next few months with the City Council, other Government departments and community organisations to determine the best location of the land for future expansion to the South of Cairns,” she said.

    Media contact: Premier’s Office 3224 4500