Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Premier and Minister for Trade
    The Honourable Peter Beattie


    Premier and Minister for Trade
    The Honourable Peter Beattie

    Tuesday, July 10, 2007


    Premier Peter Beattie today announced that $420 million in drought-proofing projects for regional Queensland moved a step closer.

    Mr Beattie announced the designated proponents – or alliances, councils and firms – who will be investigating and delivering the projects outlined in the Statewide Water Policy.

    “These organisations will be assessing feasibility and delivering the projects that will protect large tracts of regional Queensland from the ravages of drought,” Mr Beattie said.

    “We are responding to the pressures of a growing population, climate change and expanding industry sectors with statewide action,” he said.

    “The projects for regional Queensland are a range of new dams, weirs and pipelines that will transport water to areas where it is needed most.”

    Mr Beattie said appointed to investigate the Lower Fitzroy Water Joint Venture was a group involving Rockhampton City Council, Livingstone Shire Council, Gladstone Area Water Board and SunWater.

    “They will investigate the proposed new Rookwood Weir and feasibility of raising the exiting Eden Bann Weir, both near Rockhampton,” Mr Beattie said.

    “I am pleased to announce the Gladstone Area Water Board will continue to be the designated proponent for the Rockhampton-to-Gladstone Pipeline,” he said.

    “SunWater will continue working on the Water-for-Bowen project and pipeline extension to Proserpine. As well, it will be investigating the feasibility of the planned Nathan and Nullinga dams, as well as progressing work on the Connors River dam, raising the Kinchant dam and associated pipelines.

    ‘These projects will secure water supplies across regional Queensland for urban, industrial and agricultural use into the future.”

    Mr Beattie said the Statewide Water Policy was a comprehensive water supply plan to deliver water security.

    “With the $300 million Moranbah water pipelines from the Burdekin River south to Dysart almost complete, this policy ensures the water grid expands across Queensland with an investment of more than $420 million in new water infrastructure outside the South East corner,” he said.

    “This $420 million investment includes $222 million for dams and weirs, and $198 million for channels and pipelines.”

    Mr Beattie said a total of $17.835 million had been allocated in 2007-08 to the following projects:
    • $2 million for the Rookwood Weir and Eden Bann Weir raising;
    • $1.5 million for the Connors River Dam and associated pipelines;
    • $1.976 million for the Nathan Dam;
    • $2.5 million for the Water-for-Bowen project and the Bowen-to-Proserpine pipeline;
    • $1.5 million for the Nullinga Dam, Kinchant Dam raising and the Burdekin-to- South East Queensland pipeline;
    • $5 million for land acquisitions; and
    • $3.359 million for planning and development activities associated with these projects.

    The Premier also today reaffirmed Queensland Government's commitment to the public reporting process for the projects, with the first report due in September 2007.

    Tuesday, July 10, 2007

    MEDIA CONTACT: Premier's Office 3224 4500