Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Paul Lucas

    CONTRACT AWARDED FOR BRUCE HIGHWAY WORKS SOUTH OF TULLY

    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Paul Lucas

    Friday, March 16, 2007

    CONTRACT AWARDED FOR BRUCE HIGHWAY WORKS SOUTH OF TULLY

    Work will begin during late May 2007 on upgrading the worst flooding troublespot on the Bruce Highway in North Queensland, following today’s awarding of a major construction contract.

    Australian Government Minister for Local Government, Territories and Roads, Jim Lloyd, and Queensland Minister for Transport and Main Roads, Paul Lucas, today announced the Tully Alliance, comprising of BMD Major Projects, Albem Operations, Maunsell AECOM and Main Roads, as the successful tender for the $128 million project.

    Mr Lloyd said this was the first major project funded from the $348 million the Australian Government has provided to Queensland for a series of flood improvements for the highway between Townsville and Cairns.

    He said property resumptions were being finalised and early work on building sections of embankment would get under way immediately.

    “The south of Tully highway upgrade involves a total of 700 metres of bridges as well as 55 major culverts,” Mr Lloyd said.

    “The sections that are the worst affected by flooding will be raised to greatly improve wet season road access.

    “The upgrading will occur along 15.5 km of highway between Corduroy Creek and the Tully High School.

    “The works will include new bridges over the Tully River, Murray River, Lagoon Creek and Corduroy Creek, in addition to overflow bridges near the Tully River and Lagoon Creek. An overpass is also planned over the cane rail line near Dallachy Road,” he said.

    Changes to the alignment of the Bruce Highway are intended north of the Tully River to utilise higher ground beside the North Coast train line, but will generally follow the route of the existing highway south of the river.

    Both Ministers have stated it isn’t economically viable to completely flood proof this section of the Bruce Highway.

    Mr Lucas, who was in North Queensland last week to inspect flooding sites on the Bruce Highway, has thanked the Australian Government for the funding it’s made available for vital flood works.

    “Make no mistake this federally funded project will make a massive difference to flooding disruptions on the Bruce Highway between Cairns and Townsville,” Mr Lucas said.

    He said approaches to the Tully River bridge are the most susceptible to flooding and will be 1.5 metres higher, while the Murray Flats section of the Bruce Highway is to be raised by 0.7m.

    A new bridge over the Tully River is planned which will be wider and a metre higher than its predecessor.

    “The upgrade will boost safety for motorists by delivering an 11 metre wide road and eliminate the narrow causeway from Murray Flats to Silky Oak,” Mr Lucas said.

    “Land resumptions will be finalised by May but early works on building embankments will start almost immediately.

    “A lot of work has gone into planning and designing this crucial upgrade of the Bruce Highway near Tully to ensure we don’t simply shift the flooding problems elsewhere, but we haven’t crossed the finish line yet - building a project of this magnitude in one of Australia’s wettest locations is no easy task,” Mr Lucas said.

    Media inquiries:

    Mr Lloyd’s office – Fiona Telford 0407 908 504

    Mr Lucas’ office – Darren Roberts 0448 184 566