Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Paul Lucas

    Tugun tunnel workers see the light

    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Paul Lucas

    Friday, February 09, 2007

    Tugun tunnel workers see the light

    Workers building the tunnel for the Tugun Bypass project saw the light today, meeting up underground to mark the end of stage two of the tunnel's construction.

    Two teams of workers tunnelling from north and south shook hands after making the breakthrough, meaning the excavation phase of the tunnel project is now complete.

    "This is further good news on the Tugun Bypass project," Minister for Transport and Main Roads Paul Lucas said today.

    "With the Premier and I announcing last week that the entire bypass would finish six months ahead of schedule, the good news stories just keep coming on this project."

    Mr Lucas said the two tunnelling teams had completed the 334 metre excavation phase in five-and-a-half weeks.

    "A total of 30 staff have been working around the clock to complete this critical stage of the tunnel's construction," Mr Lucas said.

    "Completion of the excavation is the second milestone for the tunnel's construction, with the first being the completion of early tunnel works by 10 November 2006."

    Works completed on the tunnel so far include the construction of 20 metre deep walls, the tunnel roof and excavation beneath the actual roof.

    The next stage for the tunnel is to complete the flooring and ramp slabs, and the mechanical and electrical installations for ventilation, fire protection and variable message signs.

    When complete, the tunnel will feature two tubes, carrying traffic in each direction. Each tunnel is 6.1 metres deep and 13 metres wide to allow conversion from 4 to 6 lanes in the future.

    The Tugun Bypass is expected to open in mid 2008, six months ahead of schedule, and when complete will reduce travelling time between Currumbin and Tweed Head to five minutes.

    Media Contact: Robert Hoge 3237 1942