Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Premier and Minister for Trade
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Magnificent Anzac Square restoration complete

    Premier and Minister for Trade
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Wednesday, August 28, 2019

    Magnificent Anzac Square restoration complete

    Anzac Square in Brisbane has been fully restored and enhanced after the completion of almost $22 million in works to the state’s war memorial.

    Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the Queensland Government invested more than $14 million as part of its five-year $49.3 million Anzac Centenary commemorations, in partnership with the Federal Government and Brisbane City Council.

    “The work has been skilful, meticulous, respectful and dedicated,” Ms Palaszczuk said.

    “Heritage sandstone was enhanced, historic statues and trees were protected, ponds were repaired and the undercroft galleries have been upgraded.”

    The four-stage restoration and enhancement project involved rectifying structural defects, repairing damage from water infiltration and upgrading interior spaces.

    Signage and seating have been improved and commemorative bronze screens and interactive technologies have been installed, enhancing the visitor experience.

    "The screens show the names of Queensland towns who have contributed to our century of service – over 2000 of them - a reminder of the extent of the sacrifice made by so many throughout our state," Ms Palaszczuk said.

    More than 10,000 newly digitised items, including artefacts, postcards, maps, letters and medals, had been incorporated into the galleries.

    “For the past 89 years, our community has gathered at this sacred place to pay tribute to Queenslanders who have served our country in conflict and peacekeeping.

    “Following the First World War and during the Great Depression, Queenslanders worked and donated what they could to create the memorial which was officially opened on Armistice Day 1930.

    “Time has handed to us the responsibility to preserve and enhance Anzac Square.

    “My Government is proud to have worked with the Brisbane City Council and the Australian Government to ensure this special place of remembrance is forever upheld.”

    “Importantly, accessibility has been improved so that all Queenslanders can pay their respect to the servicemen and women who secured our nation’s freedoms and who continue to protect us today.

    “May we always remember them at Anzac Square.”

    PHOTOS:

    - A bugler at the ceremony to mark completion of work on Anzac Square

    - The undercroft galleries

    - Anzac Square statue with bronze screens in the background

    ENDS

    Media contact: Premier’s office - Chris O’Brien 0419 774 004