Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    JOINT STATEMENT
    Minister for Housing and Public Works, Minister for Digital Technology and Minister for Sport
    The Honourable Mick de Brenni
    Minister for Child Safety, Youth and Women and Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence
    The Honourable Di Farmer

    Queensland’s newest shelters on track for summer completion

    JOINT STATEMENT

    Minister for Housing and Public Works, Minister for Digital Technology and Minister for Sport
    The Honourable Mick de Brenni

    Minister for Child Safety, Youth and Women and Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence
    The Honourable Di Farmer

    Thursday, May 16, 2019

    Queensland’s newest shelters on track for summer completion

    Construction of Queensland’s two newest shelters is on track to be completed this year, taking the number of shelters in the state to 54.

    Minister for the Prevention of Domestic and Family Violence Di Farmer said the new shelters being built on the Gold Coast and in the Caboolture area were scheduled to be completed by December.

    “The Palaszczuk Government is the first Queensland government in more than two decades to build domestic violence shelters,” she said.

    “These new shelters will provide women and children with a safe place and support to help them plan their future.

    “Women are at their most vulnerable when they make the incredibly brave decision to leave a violent relationship, which is why it’s absolutely essential that the right support and services are in place to help them, at the right time.

    “And that’s why, while we wait for these two shelters to open their doors, we have already started the mobile support services that go hand-in-hand with them.”

    New shelters are also now fully operational in Coen, Roma and Charters Towers where previously there were no women’s shelters available.

    A replacement shelter was also established in Cherbourg last year under an almost $1.5 million refurbishment.

    “The two new shelters in Caboolture and on the Gold Coast will bring us up to seven additional shelters established by the Queensland Government within the past five years,” she said.

    “Once all of these new shelters come online, there will be at least 319 places each night of safe temporary accommodation for women and children who need it.

    Minister for Housing and Public Works Mick de Brenni said the Queensland government was determined to support women and children escaping domestic and family violence.

    “It is important for governments to deliver multi-faceted solutions to the complex challenges of family and domestic violence,” he said.

    “It is critical that we continue work strategically across agencies to achieve positive outcomes for Queenslanders who have made the decision to leave a domestic violence situation.

    “That is why I am pleased that through this collaboration the Palaszczuk Government is delivering additional support to women and children in need right around the state.”

    The shelters are part of the Palaszczuk Government’s response to the Not Now, Not Ever report.

    “One of the barriers preventing people from seeking help is not having a safe place to go and it makes me very proud as a Minister to be able to increase the level of support to women and children whose lives are impacted by domestic and family violence ” Ms Farmer said.

    “There is still a lot of work to do but I am committed to working hard every day to help break the cycle of violence.”

    Media Contact: 3719 7336