Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    Record roads program drives 19,000 jobs

    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    Wednesday, May 01, 2019

    Record roads program drives 19,000 jobs

    The Palaszczuk Government continues to deliver its record $21.7 billion transport and roads program, supporting more than 19,200 Queensland jobs.

    Transport and Main Roads Minister said the four-year investment would play a critical role as south east Queensland’s population grows by almost two million over the next two decades thanks to unprecedented job opportunities, including 192,000 jobs created under the Palaszczuk Government since 2015.

    “Works are well underway on the $195.3 million M1/M3/Gateway merge upgrade and the $197.5 million upgrade to widen the M1 between Mudgeeraba and Varsity Lakes supporting 450 jobs,” Mr Bailey said.

    “We’ve completed the $74 million Exit 54 upgrade at Coomera, and we’re in detail design for our $25 million Exit 57 upgrade at Oxenford.

    “In Logan, we have worked with Transurban to upgrade a major connection with the Logan Motorway and Mt Lindesay Highway, including the congested Wembley Road interchange.

    “These works have created more than 1,300 jobs and will unlock more than $1.2 billion for our economy.

    “On the Centenary Motorway, early works are well underway to upgrade the Sumners Road interchange and we’re planning for a much-needed Centenary Bridge duplication.

    “On the $400 million Ipswich Motorway upgrade, we’re seeing major progress on the Darra to Rocklea duplication. This 470-job project will reduce congestion for its daily 85,000 motorists.

    “While on the Bruce Highway, we’re building the $812 million, 600-job upgrade from Caloundra Road to the Sunshine Motorway. Six-laning between Caboolture and Steve Irwin Way will follow next year.

    “We’re doing the heavy lifting and supporting local jobs while the Federal LNP cuts cheap deals and the State LNP roll over and say they’ll take the first deal - no matter how bad it is.”

    Mr Bailey said in last year’s budget the Federal LNP had cut funding for Queensland transport infrastructure by six per cent, which was not restored this year with, with crucial new funding pushed out for at least four years.

    “Running alongside the Bruce, is the Sunshine Coast rail line, where our Beerburrum to Nambour upgrade will unlock frequent, reliable transport. Unfortunately, we’ve seen the Federal LNP continue to refuse to fairly fund the project on an 80 per cent basis, as they do in Victoria – a real body blow. Their $250 million shortfall means we may need to look at staging the upgrade.

    “It’s clear we can’t afford another three years of cuts and chaos under a Morrison-Palmer-Hanson government.”

    For more information on road projects across Queensland visit www.tmr.qld.gov.au

    ENDS

    Media contact: Francis Dela Cruz - 0420 592 078