Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Natural Resources, Mines and Energy
    The Honourable Dr Anthony Lynham

    $100m from Palaszczuk Govt to keep Haughton pipeline moving

    Minister for Natural Resources, Mines and Energy
    The Honourable Dr Anthony Lynham

    Wednesday, April 03, 2019

    $100m from Palaszczuk Govt to keep Haughton pipeline moving

    The Palaszczuk Government has fast-tracked $100 million, as part of its $225 million commitment to Townsville’s water security, to keep construction of the Haughton 36.5km water pipeline moving.

    Member for Townsville Scott Stewart said the $100 million payment, paid this week,  would go towards supporting up to 1000 jobs over the life of the project.

    “We all know Townsville has been doing it tough and is currently recovering from an unprecedented flooding event. The jobs that flow from the Haughton pipeline are a shot in the arm during the rebuilding period,” Mr Stewart said.

    “There are more than 400 workers on the pipeline project and the recent mobilisation of the tunnel boring machine is ensuring the project is progressing post the severe flooding event.

     “By keeping the money flowing , the Palaszczuk Government is ensuring the project’s progress.’’

     Minister for Natural Resources Dr Anthony Lynham said the Government recognised the necessity for reliable, long-term water supply, especially with Townsville’s unpredictable weather.

     “This project is providing local employment, business opportunities and security and reliability of water supply,’’ Dr Lynham said.

     “The Palaszczuk Government is continuing to show its commitment to the Townsville region by funding this vital infrastructure.’’

     Townsville Mayor Jenny Hill said delivering long-term water security for Townsville remained a top priority.

     “The pipeline is helping to support local businesses and jobs now, and it will ensure our city is able to continue to grow in the future,” Cr Hill said.

     “Importantly, Townsville City Council has structured the work packages on the pipeline very deliberately to give local firms the best possible chance of winning work on the project.

     “Work is continuing on site and we are committing to have the pipeline completed in March next year.

     “I’d like to thank the Queensland Government for investing in Townsville’s long-term water security.”

     This latest funding follows the first construction instalment of  $15 million  in August last year. This follows a previous payment of approximately $10 million in 2017 associated with the Water Smart Package.

     Media enquiries:

     Mr Stewart’s office – 4766 4100; Minister Lynham’s office -  David Potter 0428 411 617