Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    JOINT STATEMENT
    Premier and Minister for Trade
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    Gateway Upgrade North now complete

    JOINT STATEMENT

    Premier and Minister for Trade
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    Friday, March 15, 2019

    Gateway Upgrade North now complete

    The $1.1 billion Gateway Upgrade North project is complete, with the official opening of the newly widened section of the Gateway Motorway held today.

    Federal Minister for Cities, Urban Infrastructure and Population Alan Tudge, attended the commissioning of the project today and said the upgrade was a significant investment from the Australian Government to improve conditions for motorways and freight productivity in South East Queensland.

    “There is more relief to come in the form of a $244.25 million investment under the Government’s Urban Congestion Fund, announced last month, which complements an existing $7.2 billion Australian Government investment into major urban infrastructure projects across South East Queensland,” Mr Tudge said.

    Queensland Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the gateway upgrade would help to unlock major economic growth in Queensland by busting congestion for motorists and vastly improving freight access to the Australia TradeCoast (ATC), Port of Brisbane and Brisbane Airport.

    “This is a $214 million investment by the Queensland Government that has transformed the Gateway Motorway and improved Bruce Highway connectivity for the thousands of Queenslanders and businesses who rely on this important corridor every day,” the Premier said.

    Queensland Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said extra lanes on the motorway and Deagon Deviation are already significantly reducing congestion while the upgraded Nudgee Interchange will improve access, traffic flow and driver safety on and off the motorway in each direction.

    “Daily, more than 83,000 vehicles travel along motorway between Nudgee and Deagon. The Gateway Upgrade North will provide relief for motorists today and allow for growth in the future,” Minister Bailey said.

    Federal Member for Petrie Luke Howarth said works involved widening 11.3 kilometres of the Motorway from four to six lanes between Nudgee to the Deagon Deviation and the construction of an off-road shared pathway.

    “The bike path will provide a safe and efficient off-road connection from the Kedron Brook bikeway at Nudgee all the way to the outer northern suburbs,” Mr Howarth said.

    The project supported over 1,000 jobs during its construction.

    The $1.1 billion Gateway Upgrade North project was jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland governments, with the Australian Government committing $861.78 million and the Queensland Government committing $214.45 million.

     

    Media Contact:

    Premier’s Office                      Geoff Breusch 0417 272 875

    Minister Bailey’s Office           Toby Walker   0439 347 875