Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    Underwood Road bridge works start this week

    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    Tuesday, September 25, 2018

    Underwood Road bridge works start this week

    Works will start this week on the new Underwood Road bridge, as part of the M1/M3 Gateway Merge project.

    Member for Springwood Mick de Brenni said the piling works marked an important part of the upgrade.

    “We started early work on this task with the safety upgrading to the Underwood Road intersection last year, and that realignment fits the new bridgeworks to the north of the existing bridge and should open to traffic in late 2019,” Mr de Brenni said.

    “Locals are telling me they thought they’d never see the merge upgrade happen, so now the massive machinery is moved in, it’s made the project real, which everyone is very happy about.”

    “We’ll be periodically releasing drone and time lapse footage of the project including the current piling works which are an important step in laying the foundations for the new bridge.”

    Member for Waterford Shannon Fentiman thanked the community for its patience while the important congestion-busting upgrade was under construction.

    “This new expansion on Underwood Road and the M1 and M3 will make it faster and safer for Logan families to get to where they need to be,” Ms Fentiman said.

    “The Eight Mile Plains Bus Station entry will also be moved ensuring less congestion and easier access.”

    Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said construction at the M1/M3 Gateway Merge was expected to be complete in mid-2020.

    ‘‘This project is one of four major projects improving the M1, which also include upgrades worth $749 million between Eight Mile Plains and Daisy Hill, upgrades worth $1.030 billion between Varsity Lakes and Tugun, and upgrades worth $197.5 million between Mudgeeraba and Varsity Lakes,’’ Mr Bailey said.

    “The Palaszczuk Government is committed to busting congestion in South-East Queensland – these projects demonstrate our commitment to work with the Australian Government to reduce travel time for motorists so they can spend more time doing what they enjoy.”

    Mr Bailey said most of the work would take place during the day, although some night work was required to avoid clashes with peak commuting times.

    “I ask motorists to stick to sign posted speed limit changes around roadworks to ensure the safety of other motorists and workers,” Mr Bailey said.

    The M1/M3 Gateway Merge, estimated to cost $190 million, is being jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland Governments. The Australian Government is providing a capped contribution of $115 million and the Queensland Government to pay the balance.

    For more information, please email southcoast@tmr.qld.gov.au or call 5563 6600 or visit https://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Projects/Name/P/Pacific-Motorway-Upgrade-M1-M3-Gateway-merge

    ENDS

    Media: Toby Walker - 0439 347 875