Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    Safer Burrum Heads Road underway

    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    Wednesday, June 27, 2018

    Safer Burrum Heads Road underway

    Early works started this week for a $2 million project to widen and seal Burrum Heads Road between Oakes Drive and Raintree Avenue.

    Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey and Member for Maryborough Bruce Saunders said the important project would significantly improve safety.

    “This road is a key tourist route connecting the Bruce Highway to Burrum Heads and attracts a high volume of vehicles towing caravans and boats,” Mr Saunders said.

    “There’s been feedback from the community about the need to upgrade this section and we have listened.

    “This project will make a huge difference, providing safer conditions and reducing the potential for head-on crashes.

    “The works will involve widening the road to provide two, 3.5-metre lanes with one-metre, sealed shoulders.”

    The Minister said the Department of Transport and Main Roads would also realign a section of the road to reduce the horizontal curve.

    “Before the major roadworks start, the existing water infrastructure needs to be relocated,” Mr Bailey said.

    “Early works are expected to take about four weeks to complete, weather permitting.”

    Mr Bailey thanked the community for providing feedback during the design phase.

    “As a result, we will now be providing a widened, sealed shoulder on the eastern side of Burrum Heads Road at the Oakes Drive intersection,” he said.

    “This is similar to what exists at Raintree Avenue and will allow through motorists to pass around vehicles turning right into Oakes Drive.

    “We will also clear some vegetation at the Raintree Avenue intersection to improve visibility for traffic on Raintree Avenue and Burrum Heads Road.

    “I understand some locals queried whether the speed limit would return to 100km/h once the project had been completed.

    “I can confirm that the existing 80km/h speed limit was implemented due to the narrow width of the road and was always considered an interim measure until it could be widened.

    “These works will create a wider and straighter road, designed to meet the standards of a 100km/h speed limit.”

    Mr Bailey said traffic controllers, single-lane closures and speed restrictions would be in place as required while works are underway.

    “RoadTek is onsite with works being carried out between 6am and 6pm, Monday to Friday,” he said.

    “Motorists should also factor in additional travel time for their journey. We thank you in advance for your patience and cooperation while the works are under way.”

    ENDS

     

    Media contact:  Dominic Geiger 0447 355 565