Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Agricultural Industry Development and Fisheries
    The Honourable Mark Furner

    New funding to protect beachgoers

    Minister for Agricultural Industry Development and Fisheries
    The Honourable Mark Furner

    Thursday, June 21, 2018

    New funding to protect beachgoers

    The Palaszczuk Government has moved to further protect the lives of swimmers at the state’s most popular beaches, by allocating new funds in last week’s budget to deter shark attacks.

    Minister for Agricultural Industry Development and Fisheries Mark Furner said an additional $2.1 million over four years, and an additional $731,000 per annum ongoing, will be spent to help meet the growing cost of the Shark Control Program.

    This will take the total funding for the Program to $16.1 million over four years and $4.2 million per annum ongoing.

    “The Palaszczuk Government remains steadfast in our support for the Shark Control Program,” Mr Furner said.

    “It has undoubtedly saved lives and that’s why we will continue to support it.”

    Mr Furner said the new funding would help the program continue to protect beachgoers up and down Queensland’s coast.

    “Eighty-five of Queensland’s most popular beaches are protected by nets or drumlines,” he said.

    “This program that has been supported by successive governments since 1962.

    “While we continue to monitor emerging technology, the safety of locals and both domestic and international visitors to our beaches is paramount.”

    Mr Furner said in the last 56 years only one person has lost their life to a shark at a protected Queensland beach.

    “That is one too many but sadly, no measures are foolproof,” Mr Furner said.

    “The safety of humans is the priority and any moves to remove the protections on our beaches will place lives at risk.”

     

    Media: Brock Taylor – 0427 018 178