Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Fire and Emergency Services
    The Honourable Craig Crawford

    Fire and Emergency Services Minister thanks staff as flood situation continues in state’s north-west

    Minister for Fire and Emergency Services
    The Honourable Craig Crawford

    Wednesday, March 14, 2018

    Fire and Emergency Services Minister thanks staff as flood situation continues in state’s north-west

    Fire and Emergency Services Minister Craig Crawford will visit flood-impacted areas of north western Queensland today (Wednesday) to inspect damage and thank staff involved in the ongoing emergency.

    Mr Crawford will be joined by Queensland Fire and Emergency Services (QFES) Commissioner Katarina Carroll on the inspection, which will take in Mount Isa, McKinlay, Cloncurry and Winton.

    He said the response from local emergency services including Fire and Rescue staff and State Emergency Service (SES) and Rural Fire Service (RFS) volunteers “had been second to none”.

    “QFES crews have been working hard, undertaking various assistance activities including rapid damage assessment, welfare checks, evacuation assistance and emergency clean-up assistance as the waters in many areas across north Queensland recede,” Mr Crawford said.

    “It’s great to see all of the services that make up QFES working together to help the community and their efforts will see these areas rise to their feet quickly and get back to normality as soon as possible.

    “On top of more than 400 calls to the SES in the last week for this event, our swift-water rescue crews and rural firefighting volunteers have also responded to calls for everything from flood rescue to calls for clean-up help.

    “Apart from thanking our hard-working personnel, I’d like to recognise the community for their preparations ahead of, and during the flooding event,” Mr Crawford said.

    “People out here in the west are known for being self-sufficient but they’re also very sensible and have been listening to the warnings, making sure everyone stays as safe as possible during this flood event.

    “Our swift water rescue figures have stayed low and, in the vast majority of cases, people have taken all appropriate action to avoid flooded areas.”  

    Commissioner Carroll stressed it was important for residents to remain patient while floodwater levels dropped.

    “It’s important that people stay out of the flood affected areas as waters recede and locals and local authorities the chance to assess the damage for themselves and undertake their clean-up activities without sightseers coming through, possibly venturing into unsafe areas during the clean-up operation,” Ms Carroll said.

    “The clean-up from this severe weather event is significant but I am pleased to see the true Queensland spirit coming to the fore with mates helping mates and everyone pitching in, playing their part to ensure a strong and speedy recovery.

    “At this time of year, it is common for us Queenslanders to see quite severe weather and even tropical cyclones. With around half of the State’s waterways experiencing some level of flooding in the last week or so, it’s important for us all to realise that the impacts of these events could affect any of us.

    “Everyone should be checking their own emergency procedures and discussing with their family what they would do and where they would go if a severe weather event was to impact them. 

    “It’s a good idea to have an emergency kit with water, non-perishable food, spare clothing and copies of important documents stored in an easy to reach location in the home.”

    The SES can be contacted on 132 500 but if it is a life-threatening emergency call Triple Zero immediately.

    Queenslanders looking for tips on how to prepare for a severe weather event or for more details on emergency kits should visit


    MEDIA 0412 393 909