Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    Shovels down, new Vines Creek bridges up

    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    Thursday, December 06, 2018

    Shovels down, new Vines Creek bridges up

    Work has finished months ahead of schedule on the $28 million Vines Creek Bridges Replacement Project. 

    Member for Mackay Julieanne Gilbert said the two new bridges were a massive win for the North Queensland transport network, improving efficiency, capacity, and heavy vehicle access to the Port of Mackay.

    “The two bridges have been completed months ahead of schedule, delivering better infrastructure sooner,” Mrs Gilbert said. 

    “Being the only port access for heavy vehicles, these bridges are an important asset for Mackay and the Bowen Basin.

    “As we saw with the opening of the first bridge earlier this year, the extension of the Higher Mass Limit route from the Bruce Highway to Mackay Port improves transport efficiency for heavy vehicle operators and related industries.

    “The Vines Creek Bridges upgrade has improved pedestrian and bike-riding facilities with a new dedicated pathway, and increased storm surge protection with the completion of the permanent levee wall.

    “Completing this project will support other infrastructure upgrades around the region, including Mackay Ring Road Stage One, currently under construction and the Mackay Northern Access Upgrade, due to start next year.”

    Transport and Main Roads Minister Mark Bailey said the Vines Creek project was brought forward under the State Governments Accelerated Works Program (AWP), finishing well before the initial March 2019 completion date.

    “This project has made great progress since works started in May last year, with the first bridge opening to single lane each way in February, and the second bridge following suit in August,” Mr Bailey said.

    “By continually reaching milestones and targets sooner than expected, the project has exceeded even the fast-tracked timeframes implemented under the AWP.

    “After practical completion was reached in November, the replacement permanent water main is now being connected, and some extra footpath works will be finalised, which will require the bridges to remain single lane until early December.”

    An average of 42 direct jobs were supported over the life of the project.

    ENDS

    Media Contact: Toby Walker - 0439 347 875