Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    Safety barriers mean a safer Bruce Highway

    Minister for Transport and Main Roads
    The Honourable Mark Bailey

    Tuesday, October 09, 2018

    Safety barriers mean a safer Bruce Highway

    Safety improvements on the Bruce Highway are continuing, with barriers now being installed on the Sunshine Coast.

    Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Infrastructure, Transport and Regional Development Michael McCormack said works are now under way to install barriers between Tanawah and Cooroy.

    “These important safety works involve installing barriers along the centre median of the Bruce Highway from the Sunshine Motorway interchange at Tanawah north to Cooroy,” Mr McCormack said.

    “This follows on from work starting in May this year to install safety barriers between the Steve Irwin Way exit at Beerburrum and the Caloundra Road interchange.”

    Queensland Minister for Transport and Main Roads Mark Bailey said new highway emergency cross-over bays would also be built as part of the works.

    “These bays will improve safety on the highway by allowing more access points for emergency services,” Mr Bailey said.

    “Works are being undertaken at night when traffic volumes are lower to ensure the safety of motorists and road workers and we thank the community for their patience and understanding while we carry out these important safety works.”

    Federal Member for Fairfax Ted O’Brien said local company SGQ Pty Ltd had been awarded the contract for barrier installation between the Sunshine Motorway interchange and Cooroy.

    “This means that safety barriers will now be provided in the centre median for the whole stretch of highway running through the Sunshine Coast,” Mr O’Brien said.

    “These critical works will reduce the risk of cross-median crashes involving motorists travelling in different directions.”

    Acting Police Minister Anthony Lynham said any work that improved safety on Queensland roads was good news for motorists.

    “Unfortunately, too many Queenslanders know the pain of losing a family member or friend to road trauma, so I am delighted to see more being done across our vast road network to improve road safety,” he said.

    “It’s also important to remember that road safety is everyone’s responsibility, and to avoid the fatal five at all costs.”

    Federal Member for Wide Bay Llew O’Brien said the works were part of a broader Bruce Highway Safety Package, which upgrades safety at high-risk locations along the highway’s entire length.

    “The $1.4 billion Bruce Highway Safety Package is jointly funded by the Australian and Queensland governments, including $831.4 million from the Australian Government,” Mr O’Brien said.

    “Safe roads save lives and these works will help to prevent the trauma and tragedy of injuries and fatalities caused by crashes.  The minor inconveniences motorists may experience during construction will be well worth the benefits these safety enhancements will bring.  These investments demonstrate our ongoing commitment to improving safety on the highway for all road users.”

    Works on the package are expected to be complete in mid-2020, weather permitting. An average of 273 direct jobs are expected to be supported throughout its life.

    New safety barriers were also installed in late 2016 on the Bruce Highway between the Pine River Bridge and Anzac Avenue.

    Ends

    Media contact for Minister Bailey: 0447355565