Skip links and keyboard navigation

    Media Statements

    Coat of ArmsMedia Release
    JOINT STATEMENT
    Premier and Minister for Trade
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk
    Minister for Employment and Small Business and Minister for Training and Skills Development
    The Honourable Shannon Fentiman

    More than 10,000 Queenslanders Back to Work under program

    JOINT STATEMENT

    Premier and Minister for Trade
    The Honourable Annastacia Palaszczuk

    Minister for Employment and Small Business and Minister for Training and Skills Development
    The Honourable Shannon Fentiman

    Thursday, January 18, 2018

    More than 10,000 Queenslanders Back to Work under program

    A Palaszczuk Government program to help employers hire young and long-term unemployed staff has supported more than 10,000 Queenslanders get a job.

    Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk said the Back to Work program had supported 4437 employers hire 9396 jobseekers in regional Queensland and another 1083 jobseekers recruited by 799 employers in the State’s south-east.

    “My Government has been determined to get Queenslanders back to work. Working with business and industry, we created the equivalent of 140 additional jobs every day – or more than 140,000 - during our first term,” she said.

    “Our investments in programs like Back to Work and Skilling Queenslanders for Work are helping Queenslanders get into the workforce and contribute to our State’s success.”

    The Premier said when the Back to Work program was announced in June 2016, it was projected to help create 8000 jobs over two years.

    “The Back to Work program has been embraced by Queensland businesses and employers,” she said.

    “Due to the success of the program, I promised at the last election to extend the Back to Work program in regional Queensland until July 2021 and extend the eligibility for assistance to include mature-aged workers,” the Premier said.

    Minister for Employment and Small Business Shannon Fentiman said it was programs like Back to Work that supported businesses to grow.

    “We know that some people are still struggling to find the right opportunity and that’s what makes Back to Work so successful,” Ms Fentiman said.

    “Giving businesses the confidence to be able to take on new employees will support them to grow and create more jobs for Queenslanders.”

    Back to Work Regional Employment Package is a $305 million initiative designed to give businesses the confidence to employ regional jobseekers and provide an economic boost to regions facing challenging times

    Employer Support, Youth Boost and Mature Aged Worker Boost payments are available under these Guidelines to employers who meet all the program eligibility criteria.

    Boost payments are offered in the following regions:

    • Wide Bay Burnett

    • North Queensland

    • Far North Queensland

    • Mackay/Whitsunday

    • Central Queensland

    • North West Queensland

    • South West Queensland.

    From 1 July 2017, each eligible employer may claim a maximum of five Back to Work regional initial payment applications. This cap applies to regional Employer Support, Youth Boost and Mature Aged Worker Boost payments and combinations of those payment types. Once a total of five initial payment applications have been approved, no further initial payment applications can be accepted.

    Employer Support Payments

    • $10,000 for a jobseeker previously unemployed between four and 52 weeks
    • $15,000 for a jobseeker previously unemployed 52 weeks or more
    • Youth Boost Payments of $20,000 for a Jobseeker previously unemployed (minimum four weeks) and aged between 15-24 years
    • Mature Aged Worker Boost of $20,000 for a jobseeker previously unemployed (minimum four weeks) and aged 55 years or over

    Back to Work South East Queensland is a $27.5 million initiative designed to give businesses the confidence to employ long-term unemployed, unemployed youth (15-24 year-olds) and mature aged (55 plus) jobseekers in South East Queensland (SEQ).

    This program aims to facilitate unemployed jobseekers into the labour market and support them to create a strong connection to the labour force.

    Employer Support, Youth Boost and Mature Aged Worker Boost payments are available under these guidelines to SEQ employers who meet all the program eligibility criteria.

    Back to Work SEQ Employer Support, Youth Boost and Mature Aged Worker Boost payments are offered in the following areas:

    • Brisbane

    • Redlands

    • Logan

    • Gold Coast

    • Scenic Rim

    • Ipswich

    • Lockyer Valley

    • Somerset

    • Moreton Bay

    • Sunshine Coast

    • Noosa

    • Toowoomba.

    Each eligible employer may claim a maximum of five Back to Work SEQ applications. This cap applies to SEQ Employer Support, Youth Boost and Mature Aged Worker Boost payments and combinations of those payment types. Once a total of five initial payment applications have been approved, no further initial payment applications can be accepted.

     Employer Support Payments

    • $15,000 for a jobseeker previously unemployed 52 weeks or more Youth Boost Payments
    • $20,000 for a jobseeker previously unemployed (minimum four weeks) and aged between 15-24 years
    • $20,000 for a jobseeker previously unemployed (minimum four weeks) and aged 55 years or over

    More information about Back to Work program is available at www.backtowork.initiatives.qld.gov.au or call 13 74 68.

    Media contact: Kirby Anderson (Premier’s office) 0417 263 791